Clean Black

Travis

TJ Enthusiast
Is it sinful to like HRNT much better when its all cleaned up? I don't mind the dirty look, but damn its beautiful all shiny & black.
20160403_174052.jpg
20160403_143611.jpg

Very nice bro! I love it. Clean and unmolested.
I like clean. It helps tremendously when I am looking for broken stuff;)

Unmolested through is just not in the spirit of jeeping.:D

Gotta keep buying stuff so the manufactures can develop new stuff for us to buy, develop, buy, develop....................:)

Reactions: StG58
I went and picked up the Turtle Wax Jet Black kit. I was skeptical about how well it could work, but it was 20 bucks so I thought what the hell. I gave it a try and wow does it really work! By covering all of the swirl marks and filling in minor scratches, it makes HRNT look fantastic. The picture really doesn't do it justice, it looks 100% better in person. Have any of you guys teied this product? I highly recommend it if you have not.
20160618_185134.jpg
20160618_185114.jpg

Last edited:
The best thing I've ever found to get black paint looking brand new would be Zaino. I swear up and down by that stuff.

I have to say though... Yours looks super sharp!

Thanks @Chris, I will look up the stuff you mentioned.

Check it out! It's highly regarded by high end car owners such as Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, etc. You typically hear it talked about in those circles, but rightfully so, because it works amazing. I used it numerous times on my black BMW M3 and M5. Talk about bringing the black to life!

Looking good! The turtle wax stuff is decent for off the shelf. Its really just a glaze, that fills in the swirls so they aren't visible anymore... for awhile. My only gripe about the turtle wax stuff is the black spray detailer can be finicky to get back off.

If you really want it to pop, get yourself a Dual action polisher, and watch some youtube videos on using it properly. Once your good with that.

Clay bar
Meguires 205 polish. They also make a 105, but its a bit more aggressive to remove bigger imperfections. I like to use 205 for a quick polish.
then top coat with colonite 845.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O7PNXC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JK2D06/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Take a pitstop over at autogeek.net. That forum is a detailers best friend.

Heres some black paint, I did using that combo.
96604629-6AFC-4282-9252-153B5440FD20-12106-00000B53E6BF2B16_zps425ab89e.jpg

reflection in the door.
309D4218-E73C-4A52-94D7-47352AEB11A2-12106-00000B53F0162BAF_zps6f89dd3d.jpg

82C5A915-C9E0-415C-8E55-86EE068B7798-9272-00000897A18B0A79_zpsf2bc9837.jpg

EC1A9114-688B-4C42-83C7-E234821AA7FA-9272-00000897BB4F2BF0_zps69ec07d3.jpg

Back when I had the time, detailing was a fun hobby.

Reactions: Chris
I definitely need to invest in some of that @oldschoolsdime92. I want my paint shining like those in your pictures. How much would a professional detailing kit run me?
To get started and not have crazy money wrapped up, I'd get a harbor freight dual action polisher. You replace the backplate with a nice 6 inch back plate, and some good pads. With a bit of practice, you can yield some pretty good results, in mild paint correction. It won't get heavy swirls/scuffs out because it simply doesn't have the power, but for a guy just learning, it's a great starting point. Mines paid for itself over and over.

I purchase all my products typically from Amazon. Sometimes from auto geek but their shipping costs are high.i will get on the autogeek forum and look at reviews and pictures of products, and make my selection from there.

You and me both man. I remember the days where I could spend 5 hours detailing a car. A wife and two kids later... Ha, no way I have time for that.
Boy oh boy, I wish I could get one done in 5 hours. The last big paint correction project I took on, I had close to 17 hours wrapped up, in polish work. It was an 07 tundra with 300k on the clock. Paint was pretty beat up. Using the meg105/205 combo with some orange lake country pads, I brought it back fairly decent. If I had a high end polisher, it would have been a better finished product

20160620_142449.jpg
After giving HRNT that wax job over the weekend, I noticed some over spray on the sides around the flares. The PO said he painted the flares, but he did a piss poor tape job. I could actually see where the tape was applied and it was certainly a bad job overall (if you look closely you can see it in the pic in my prior post). I picked up some Tirtle Wax Rubbing Compound, and that over spray buffed right off. Next weekend I am going to re-paint the flares, all with a proper tape job so we have no over spray.

Last edited:
Zoom in on the picture, right where the Wrangler & Sport decals are. It was quite noticeable and ugly. I looked again with an led flashlight, seen some more that I need to remove.

Yeah, I can see that! I don't know what possesses someone to be so lazy and not even mask things off.

Either he needed it to look good to sell quickly, or it was just laziness at it's finest. The guy I bought it from told me "Those flares are freshly painted". The paint lasted about a month. Hell, it lasted longer on the body paint LOL.