Cleaning soft top glass

Wes london

does anyone have a good way to clean the soft top Windows? They are all dingy on the wife's jeep and I want to get them all cleaned up for her.

Assuming you meant vinyl windows, the first thing to keep in mind is to never use paper towels on them. Never, ever. Paper towels are made from wood pulp and they leave tiny scratches in the vinyl every time, to the point the vinyl window will form a haze and eventually turn opaque/yellow. Resist the urge to clean your top's vinyl windows at the gas station, doing so will eventually and literally ruin them.

Instead, use warm soapy water and only something like an old soft cotton towel, t-shirt, or if you want to get fancy one of those microfiber cloths. Use plastic/vinyl window polishing products like Meguiars or Novus to get rid of scratches or haze. Few automotive stores carry any of those but nearly any boating supply store will since boats commonly use plastic/vinyl windows. Novus is a good foaming aerosol vinyl window cleaning product but I'm not sure what benefit it has over a good mild soapy solution.

Last edited:
I was wondering this myself as mine are dirty, and have tons of fine scratches in them. I have some of the Meguiars plastic polish, but wasn't sure if I could/should use it.

Reactions: Chris
Sure, go ahead and use it based on the directions on the back of the bottle.

The best way to clean scratches out is to use one of the above mentioned brand polishing kits in a 3-step kit. The strengths are for heavy scratches, normal polishing for fine scratches, and then final clean and shine. Scratches will for sure require elbow grease, this isn't a fast job if the scratches are bad or cover a large area.

Meguiars has a kit similar to the one from Novus.

Novus.jpg

I have learned to not touch the windows. I bought my pavement ends top last year and have not touched them yet. I only clean em by using a pressure washer.....or rain. They are still scratch free and clear.

I bought a used soft top and the windows were almost impossible to see out of they were so scratched and dirty. I used a product called plexus that I had laying around for my motorcyle helmets, and a micro fiber towel, and it made them look like new. It's all I will use now.

image.jpg