Cleaning the steering wheel

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
Well, sitting here among the hurricane rain bands I was wondering what is the best way to clean my leather wrapped steering wheel. The dirt/grease is starting to come off on my hands, so maybe I should clean it.
Some one mentioned the magic eraser and water used lightly. Any other Ideas?

Once you get some good ideas on how to clean it, prevent it by washing your hands before you drive your TJ. LOL

As a fellow Texan who lives on a ranch, while washing hands is a good idea, I know it just won't work! Wish I could help ya! Most I can do is put this thread back on top...

I personally use this stuff on all my leather:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H7DRQA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's a combination of a cleaner, followed by a conditioner. It works really well, and having used it on every vehicle I've owned in the past, I can say that it's kept my leather looking and feeling new.

I'm sure there plenty of other options, this is just the one I use.

I second @JMT's suggestion too. One of the things I've learned over time is that the best way to maintain the leather on your steering wheel is by washing your hands regularly. Our sweat is acidic, and over time it breaks the leather down.

Also, thinking about it, what about plain saddle soap? We've always used it on our saddles and interior leather upholstery's. It's safe. A lot of fancy products contain additives that will dry your leather out. Saddle soap will never do that, it's cheap and cleans and conditions the leather. It's worth a try as a starting point.

Murphys Oil Soap is a good cleaner and conditioner for leather, my wife has been using it for years on all her leather tack.

I used to have leather seats my a previous car...for cleaning I ended up going to Furniture shop(store) and got some cheap leather cleaner used in couches etc.....worked a treat even in our harsh sun down here.