Clutch Engaging While Pedal Is Pushed In

Gio jeep

Hey guys, yesterday my tj 4.0 decided that it would be a good day for the clutch to go out. The problem is that when I have the clutch in like at a red light or while trying to reverse, the clutch engages while the clutch pedal is pushed in. So pretty much its like the clutch is coming out while I have the pedal kicked in. Any one have the same problem or know how to fix this?

I would first check the brake fluid and the clutch fluid reservoir. Could just be that there isn't enough fluid to actuate the clutch slave and you may have a fluid leak. Could also be the clutch slave itself is bad or damaged or somehow the bolts holding it in are loose and the slave isn't all the way seated. Start there and let's see what else is up.

So if you push the clutch in, it will disengage but slowly it starts reengaging on its own? I would suspect the hydraulics at fault.

Reactions: HYRYSC
I would first check the brake fluid and the clutch fluid reservoir. Could just be that there isn't enough fluid to actuate the clutch slave and you may have a fluid leak. Could also be the clutch slave itself is bad or damaged or somehow the bolts holding it in are loose and the slave isn't all the way seated. Start there and let's see what else is up.
Is there a way to bleed the clutch system since its sealed?

Is there a way to bleed the clutch system since its sealed?
No need to try to bleed it since it's sealed. If it has air in it, it's leaking. Buy a new LuK brand clutch master/slave cylinder at Rockauto for $85 and install it in 30 minutes. Mine did the exact same thing a couple of years back.The PO installed a new clutch, but didn't replace the master/slave cylinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aviatortroy
My clutch has a bleed valve at the slave cylinder. I have never heard of a sealed hydraulic system on a clutch. What year is your Jeep?

My clutch has a bleed valve at the slave cylinder. I have never heard of a sealed hydraulic system on a clutch. What year is your Jeep?
97-06' all have a sealed system. The bleed valve is for you to try to use it and introduce air into your system. If you need to use it, you need to replace it. They don't EVER get air into the system WITHOUT a leak.

No need to try to bleed it since it's sealed. If it has air in it, it's leaking. Buy a new LuK brand clutch master/slave cylinder at Rockauto for $85 and install it in 30 minutes. Mine did the exact same thing a couple of years back.The PO installed a new clutch, but didn't replace the master/slave cylinder.

Amazon says this won't fit my 2002. What do you say?

Screenshot_20200915-101308_Amazon Shopping.jpg

BUY LUK only! Those cheap ones like Dorman have issues. I should know. I ordered a LuK and they sent the wrong one, after I removed the old one. I had to buy a crap Autozone Duralast for $180. It made weird clicking noises from day one. I got a refund a year later and bought a quality one and pocketed the $100.

BUY LUK only! Those cheap ones like Dorman have issues. I should know. I ordered a LuK and they sent the wrong one, after I removed the old one. I had to buy a crap Autozone Duralast for $180. It made weird clicking noises from day one. I got a refund a year later and bought a quality one and pocketed the $100.
This one here?

Screenshot_20200915-102313_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
97-06' all have a sealed system. The bleed valve is for you to try to use it and introduce air into your system. If you need to use it, you need to replace it. They don't EVER get air into the system WITHOUT a leak.
Never had to use the bleed valve, noticed it when I did the frame swap.

I’m not disagreeing, just trying to understand.

If I put on a new slave cylinder, it won’t have fluid. I hook it up, it won’t function because there is air in the cylinder.
Wouldn’t you use the bleeder valve to bleed the air out of the new slave cylinder?

I had to change the slave cylinder on my 08 6 speed (same NSG370 as my 05 TJ) and I had to bleed the slave cylinder before it would hold pressure and push in on the fork, thus engaging the clutch.
I believe that works the same as the 2005 TJ, and a lot of other clutch slave cylinders.

I’m not disagreeing, just trying to understand.

If I put on a new slave cylinder, it won’t have fluid. I hook it up, it won’t function because there is air in the cylinder.
Wouldn’t you use the bleeder valve to bleed the air out of the new slave cylinder?

I had to change the slave cylinder on my 08 6 speed (same NSG370 as my 05 TJ) and I had to bleed the slave cylinder before it would hold pressure and push in on the fork, thus engaging the clutch.
I believe that works the same as the 2005 TJ, and a lot of other clutch slave cylinders.
If you change only one (master or slave) then yes you have to bleed it. Why would anyone (you included) do that instead of buying the complete pre-bled kit though? It's under $85 for a quality sealed unit and no guess work by bleeding it. It's a simple job for anyone.

If you change only one (master or slave) then yes you have to bleed it. Why would anyone (you included) do that instead of buying the complete pre-bled kit though? It's under $85 for a quality sealed unit and no guess work by bleeding it. It's a simple job for anyone.

Fair enough, I just didn’t think of it that way at the time. The SChas a crack and leaked, I replaced it, bled the line, and away I went.
I just didn’t think of bleeding it as guesswork personally, but might be worth making a full replacement of mine goes out in my TJ.

Reactions: TheBoogieman