Clutch headed out the door?

Blu_Gonzo

Supporting Member
Hello all,

Couple of questions…

I recently picked up a 2006 TJ 4.0 6 speed, Dana 44 rear, Dana 30 front with 3.73’s with 72k on the clock. I’ve put probably less than 1k on it myself, she’s a gem.

I owned a off the lot new 2001 TJ 4.0 5speed(?) back in 2002 sold it in 2007 with 30k…so I have minimal experience with Jeeps and stick shifts, but more than none.

Recently, when letting the clutch out into 1st I get what I can best describe as a slight slip. I feel it grabbing, loosen for a split second then grab again. I do notice the RPM climb slightly and a slight change in tone when it “slips”. I only feel it in 1st, 2-6 are fine (for now) R seems fine as well. No weird noises, and I wouldn’t call the throw out noisy….but honestly, with my limited experience I could be loud and I wouldn’t know the difference.

My mechanic experience is basically limited to bolt ons and light non vehicular fabrication.

Questions:

1. Am I heading in the right direction thinking I’ll need a new clutch soon?

2. Should I be thinking fly wheel or master cylinder instead?

3. Recommendations on parts, I noticed lots of clutch kits/whole clutches/fly wheels?

I don’t wheel much at all, light beach wheeling a couple times a year. Plans to do light overland. This is my DD, but I live like 2 miles and 3 stop signs from work. Plans for 35’s in the future.

I tried a search but didn’t find the exact problem, apologies if this gets asked a lot.

Thanks!

C0F8BE5F-168A-4B27-925B-DDA94AD790E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Is the fluid full? I'd drive it and if the clutch is bad, you will definitely know. When my master/slave cylinder went bad, it stalled when stopped (with the clutch engaged).
p.s. Dana 30 front FWIW. 👍

Last edited:
I threw a Luk clutch on my 97.

Short of the three weeks it took me to get the skid plate off...the nutserts were murdered and the bolts siezed...removed a ghetto 1" square tube drop...and the week it took me to slowly remove the top passenger e torx bolt that stripped...it wasn't too bad...

As the saying goes... you're one stripped bolt away from this taking all weekend...I ended up with 4.

I'm sure you could toss in a clutch...I ordered mine from Amazon.

Since I removed my transfer case I did a SYE while I was at it...and a new rear driveshaft.

-Mac

I threw a Luk clutch on my 97.

Short of the three weeks it took me to get the skid plate off...the nutserts were murdered and the bolts siezed...removed a ghetto 1" square tube drop...and the week it took me to slowly remove the top passenger e torx bolt that stripped...it wasn't too bad...

As the saying goes... you're one stripped bolt away from this taking all weekend...I ended up with 4.

I'm sure you could toss in a clutch...I ordered mine from Amazon.

Since I removed my transfer case I did a SYE while I was at it...and a new rear driveshaft.

-Mac
I had a similar experience with that, it was awful. The tube drop used crappy allen bolts which were all rounded, so I had to cut it out. Since my regular 4 1/2" angle grinder wouldnt reach all the way through the bolts, I had to rent a 7" grinder from Home Depot and bought a metal blade and cut the bolts through the drop bracket... super sketchy

Hopefully that never gives me problems again. My transmission probably doesn't have long, so I am thinking about replacing my clutch while its out (I dont think mine is bad, but preventative cause its cheap) and maybe SYE and driveshafts if I have the money. My 3" lift and MML is able to get by without a SYE but just barely

Reactions: macleanflood