Clutch issues

Mazzman

Hello. I hope you can help with the clutch issue I’m having with my wrangler. It’s a 98 2.5 liter with 135,000 miles. I bought it for my 17 year old son a year ago. I took it for a drive a month ago and found the clutch was slipping. I’m not a mechanic but I am handy and I replaced the clutch with the help of a friend who has experience in replacing clutches. We replaced the clutch and put everything back together. When the engine is on the trans will not go into gear. Replaced the slave and master cylinder with a pre filled set and that didn’t help. Replaced the flywheel next and still having the same issue. I’m out of ideas and I don’t have the funds to bring it to a mechanic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Does the clutch pedal depress normally?
To me it sounds like there was an error in reassembly. Were the bearings like the throw out bearing replaced at the same time?

My guess is you torqued the clutch pressure plate on to tight so it’s not allowing you to disengage the clutch since the pressure plate is already tight against the flywheel. You only need like 38ft lbs. Did you use a torque wrench for install?

I installed a new throw out bearing and I checked it to make sure it’s engaging properly. I torqued the pressure plate to the proper specs. I’m wondering if there could still be air trapped in the slave/master cylinder even though it came prefilled