Clutch replacement this weekend

MutantNinjaTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So after 152K the throw out bearing gave up the ghost, The clutch is fine, but getting replaced obviously. Am I fucking up by not planning to do the Slave too? Have a LUK showing up but just the disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. What do you think?

no. the slave is easy to replace if it goes bad on a TJ because its external, not internal like on a YJ. but I'd replace the pilot bearing too, it should come in the LUK kit....

Reactions: macleanflood
I should, I'm a bit of a tool whore, what size you talking about?
E-10 for the transfer case, E-12 for the transmission. Rent/borrow a "blind bearing puller" from your local auto parts store, it makes removing the bearing very easy.

CIMG2118.jpg

CIMG2123smaller.jpg

Reactions: macleanflood
E-10 is only needed to split the transfer case...not to remove it.

Both upper transmission bolts are E-12 and I'd recommend removing them first... cause if anything will give you trouble that'll be it.

I spent a week getting my skid plate off...the PO had a 1" piece of square tube for a spacer and Allen key bolts. Everything was rusted, stripped. Ended up torching out the square tube and replacing all the frame rivets with Black Magic Brakes.

Ergo might want to see if those bolts turn...

Also a good time to swap out your transmission mount.

-Mac

Got the right e torx socket handy?

-Mac

along with every different length extensions and a assortment of swivels ! a few beers and a swear jar to pay yourself back ! WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THEY PUT A BOLT THERE ? WHY THE *&%# WOULD THEY USE ONE FREAKING TORX BOLT ? And many more :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: when I was overhauling aircraft we would of needed a swear barrel for all the stupid engineering stuff,
E-10 for the transfer case, E-12 for the transmission. Rent/borrow a "blind bearing puller" from your local auto parts store, it makes removing the bearing very easy.

View attachment 478375

View attachment 478374

we used the pack it with bread method. my brother was laughing saying "THIS SHIT WILL NEVER WORK" he shut the fuck up when it popped out !

along with every different length extensions and a assortment of swivels ! a few beers and a swear jar to pay yourself back ! WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THEY PUT A BOLT THERE ? WHY THE *&%# WOULD THEY USE ONE FREAKING TORX BOLT ? And many more :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: when I was overhauling aircraft we would of needed a swear barrel for all the stupid engineering stuff,
The e-torx bolt is only there because that particular bolt would be nearly impossible to insert and tighten on the assembly line when they're putting that part of the Jeep together. Notice none of the other transmission or transfer case bolts are e-torx.

• Haha
Reactions: tr21triton
The e-torx bolt is only there because that particular bolt would be nearly impossible to insert and tighten on the assembly line when they're putting that part of the Jeep together. Notice none of the other transmission or transfer case bolts are e-torx.

yea and its sooo much easier when it's all installed in the vehicle ! IT LOOKED EASY ENOUGH ON THE DRAWINGS. It was like that with our engineers, they would draw up a repair at their desk with CAD drawings and never come see the damage, after 10 times of us telling them it can't be done they would finally get off their ass and come down and go I don't see a problem. we would say you can't put a bolt there :unsure: why not ? because it's inside of a box we can't get into, show me how you want me to get it in there :eek: there's no way to get in there they would say BINGO ! Now go back to your desk and draw me up a repair !

@tr21triton what was so funny in my above post? Our TJs have many design considerations made strictly to make them easier to put together on the assembly line.

nothing really Jerry, it's funny how they didn't consider back then that it would never come apart again back then . we'd have to remove a part and be like JESUS CHRIST they built the damn plane around this 1 part. Boeing did better and used VR technology when they designed the 777 and it was much better for maintenance.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I agree with your sentiments but I really didn't have any problem removing that e-torx bolt, it just took a lot of extensions to reach it. Once I had the E-12 and the extensions put together it just took a minute to get it out.

Reactions: tr21triton
Chances are high that flywheel is good if you weren’t having issues with engagement, just a quick buff with some 20l grit sandpaper to knock off any glaze… definitely don’t have it machined, as the surface has a slight convex contact surface, and not supposed th be flat.

The snout of the input bearing retainer will cause the throw out bearing to rattle if it’s worn, making a diesel like noise. Make sure you seat the throw out bearing properly on the release arm.

I didn't think that e torx was a big deal, used like 4 or 5 extensions to reach it, but pretty easy, just make sure since the Trans will be somewhat lowered, that you have them straight on, not half on. I replaced with normal bolts matching the others, but didn't need to.

I'd replace all the springs and the pilot. I'd bet money the flywheel is good, a skuff with emory cloth and brake cleaner and good. Plus if you remove it, then you have to get new bolts etc.

Don't be an idiot and leave off the dust guard, or you can restab and install it twice, just a tip I read on the internet, ha.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford