Clutch safety switch bypass on a 1999

wraith1516

TJ Enthusiast
How to bypass it as jeep wont start ,it has power but fuel pump wont prime and starter wont engage am i looking in the wrong spot or what i had to walk home from work and it is f&^%$%g cold out

The clutch safety interlock doesn't disable the fuel pump, it only disables the starter motor.

Are you absolutely 100% the fuel pump isn't cycling on for 2 seconds as soon as you turn the ignition switch to the On (not Start) position? The fuel pump turns on for 2 seconds then shuts off if the engine isn't started. Does your instrument cluster come alive when you turn the ignition on?

Not sure what happened to mine but when the throw out bearing ate it while I was out and about and I couldn't push the clutch in to get it started. Me being the quick thinker I am, :cool: I put in the 10amp bypass fuse to get it home but the fuel pump wouldn't continue to run once it started. I ended up having to keep the ignition switch turned to start to get it to keep running. Since the starter didn't continue to spin once it did start I drove it home like that. I haven't tried to duplicate it but will before I go to the hills next time. Wierd! o_O

Not sure what happened to mine but when the throw out bearing ate it while I was out and about and I couldn't push the clutch in to get it started. Me being the quick thinker I am, :cool: I put in the 10amp bypass fuse to get it home but the fuel pump wouldn't continue to run once it started. I ended up having to keep the ignition switch turned to start to get it to keep running. Since the starter didn't continue to spin once it did start I drove it home like that. I haven't tried to duplicate it but will before I go to the hills next time. Weird! o_O
Sounds like your issue could be ignition switch related.
have a friend put their finger on the relay while you turn the Jeep on.
X2 or have a helper turn the ignition switch on while you lay under the gas tank, you should be able to hear the pump turn on then turn off 2 seconds later.

have a friend put their finger on the relay while you turn the Jeep on.
Think i may have found problem the css fell apart when i jiggled it, but i tried the bypass #19fuze in to #20 and it didnt work. Is the '99 one of those fucked up years that it doesn't work on
Sounds like your issue could be ignition switch related.

X2 or have a helper turn the ignition switch on while you lay under the gas tank, you should be able to hear the pump turn on then turn off 2 seconds later.

Update, i jumped the starter and it fired right up. Do i have to unplug the css aswell as switch the fuze from19 to 20 to get the bypass to work