Clutch Safety Switch Problem

jrcotner

Supporting Member
I tried to start my '05 Rubicon the other day, but when I stepped on the clutch and turned the key nothing happened. Cursing my lazy self for not bypassing the clutch safety switch months ago, I put it into four-low and turned the key. Still nothing. Pushed the transfer case lever back and forth a few more times, and still nothing. Put it back into two-high, stomped on the clutch a few times, and it finally started. After it started I turned it off and put it back into four-low for a try, and it started fine.

The clutch switch problem is understandable, but not starting in four-low has me stumped. What could be the problem with not starting in four-low ,but then starting fine? My dinosaur brain thinks if it was a fuse it would not start at all.

You need to install a 10A fuse into slot #28

1681992823779.png

Thanks for the info. There is one there already, and it seems to be intact. I'll swap it out on the chance there is an unseen break at the bottom causing it to intermittently short out.

A Rubicon, and only a Rubicon, should start without the clutch being pushed in when in 4L. No fuse required.

Also, the clutch switch is recalled, but if you don't want it, just jumper it. Mine failed so that it jumpered itself.

The clutch switch problem is understandable, but not starting in four-low has me stumped. What could be the problem with not starting in four-low ,but then starting fine? My dinosaur brain thinks if it was a fuse it would not start at all.

That sounds like the tcase switch wasn't indicating it was in 4L. Maybe the contacts were dirty if you hadn't used 4L in awhile?

Belay my last comment. I have a blank in fuse #28, not contacts. And I didn't notice the 4L light on the dash when I engaged it. I use 4L pretty regularly in the winter. I'll crawl underneath and see if there is corrosion on the contact.