CO2 Tank to Replace Locker Pumps

Artisan

Has anybody ever done away with air pump actuators for their lockers, and replaced with regulated CO2 pressure?

Not sure why you'd want to do that. Many use CO2 because it's faster for airing up tires and using air tools. I just don't see a need to use a CO2 tank for lockers. A tiny inexpensive air compressor is going last a long time and work well.

I carry a CO2 tank and use it most of the time. That is, until it's empty. Then I use my air compressor. With your idea, when the tank goes empty, now you don't have functioning lockers.

Reactions: Artisan
Yes, it's been done. I think you'll need a high quality regulator to make sure you only run 5 psi to the factory lockers.
See it more with ARB lockers.

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd want to do that. Many use CO2 because it's faster for airing up tires and using air tools. I just don't see a need to use a CO2 tank for lockers. A tiny inexpensive air compressor is going last a long time and work well.

I carry a CO2 tank and use it most of the time. That is, until it's empty. Then I use my air compressor. With your idea, when the tank goes empty, now you don't have functioning lockers.
My thinking is that CO2 might be more reliable and less trouble than the currently problematic air pumps I have, and it would also function for airing up. But then again, that is why I’m asking.

Reactions: suicideking
Last edited:
My thinking is that CO2 might be more reliable and less trouble than the currently problematic air pumps I have, and it would also function for airing up. But then again, that is why I’m asking.
If you have a Rubicon, you'd just have to make sure you got a quality regulator that could reliably reduce that high CO2 pressure to the 5 psi required by the lockers. Much more than 5 psi and you'd have blown bladders inside the locker actuators. It would require nothing more than a T-fitting to the regulator to drive the lockers.

If you have a Rubicon, you'd just have to make sure you got a quality regulator that could reliably reduce that high CO2 pressure to the 5 psi required by the lockers. Much more than 5 psi and you'd have blown bladders inside the locker actuators. It would require nothing more than a T-fitting to the regulator to drive the lockers.
Jerry’s got a great point if you have a Rubicon.

i was gonna run my OX off a tank, i think they said a small paintball gun tank would be good for up to 100 cycles IIRC, just need the right regulator for your application.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Going on 5 years with an ARB compressor. A pressure solenoid is the only thing that has been replaced.

I picked up a 15lb Powertank off FB for $100 and plan to use it for airing up tires and running the front ARB.

Ive got about half the parts needed to build my manifold and have a switched fully pneumatic line to the front locker.

Opinions vary but I prefer simplicity where possible. Also Powertank parts are pretty overpriced, you can piece something together locally or through Amazon at a decent discount.

Also Powertank parts are pretty overpriced, you can piece something together locally or through Amazon at a decent discount.
I agree to an extent. It seems expensive but with most things, you get what you pay for.

Can you show me the parts to piece together that are are of the same quality and can perform just as good if not better than the PowerTank stuff? If I can save a buck and have the same performance or better, that would be great.

I agree to an extent. It seems expensive but with most things, you get what you pay for.

Can you show me the parts to piece together that are are of the same quality and can perform just as good if not better than the PowerTank stuff? If I can save a buck and have the same performance or better, that would be great.

I agree that you generally get what you pay for and I do think powertank makes quality parts.

However I have a hard time paying thier prices for a complete system. So my plan was to buy a tank from Amazon and only purchase a couple parts from PT (i.e. regulator/pressure relief valve) if i couldnt find quality replacements.

My manifold/brass fittings etc. will all be sourced locally because i just dont see the value in Power Tanks markup. They want $100+ for a bracket to mount the tank to a roll bar.

To summarize in my unprofessional opinion the crucial parts worth spending extra on are the regulator and pressure relief valve.

With all that being said I wound up with a powertank / regulator setup anyway simply because i found a used one on FB.