Code P0202

Roadhand01

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2000 TJ with 185k miles
Check Engine light came on yesterday. It seemed to run a little rough but I was away from home and drove it 50+ miles home.
Started this morning, light still on. Checked and found code P0202 "Fuel Injector 2 Circuit/Open.
I drove it 30+ miles this morning, turned it off for an hour or so and when I started it again, no check engine light.
Drove it home, 30+ miles. Runs good.
Would you folks think this is something I should go ahead and replace the fuel rail?
Your suggestions are appreciated.

I would think if it's a fuel rail issue you would have problems on all the injectors not just #2.
Yesterday was the 1st time I have ever had this happen. As I said, it was on again this morning but has since gone off.
Not sure what to do at this time.

The fuel injector harness runs along the back side of the driver's side valve cover and rubs on a stud.
Thanks. If I can't find anything, would you suggest replacing the injector(s)? It does have quite a few miles on it and I drive it everyday.

I'm a troubleshooter, not a parts chucker. Being that the code intermittently pops up, I would install an incandescent test light to battery positive. With key off, unplug suspected injector. Touch test light to control wire terminal. Test light should not light. Then, with the test light still touching the control, I'd wiggle the crap out of the injector harness all the way back to the PCM. If at any point the test light lights, you've found your short. Like I said, the back of the valve cover is a prime location. If you don't find anything your wiring is good.

Wait until the code pops up, and then begin the trouble shooting process. I would verify that the PCM has control by installing a noid light (rent from autozone) with the engine running. While unplugging the suspected bad injector to install the noid light, I would also listen for any RPM changes. If the noid light test comes back good, it's probably safe to say the injector is bad. You can fool with running resistance through it, but if it's an intermittent thing, you may not catch it. It's also possible that the resistance is good but the injector gets stuck. The PCM is looking for an inductive spike after the injector is commanded off. A stuck injector result in the same DTC setting as an open or high resistance.

I checked the wiring this morning and didn't find anywhere it may be shorting. I am headed to Autozone to see about the node light.
For some reason, I think it may be a bad injector or spring.
I will post what I find .
Thanks

I checked the wiring this morning and didn't find anywhere it may be shorting. I am headed to Autozone to see about the node light.
For some reason, I think it may be a bad injector or spring.
I will post what I find .
Thanks
That many miles, I'd be more apt to suspect dirty injectors or failing o-ring... O-ring especially with it cold outside.

@Jerry Bransford has diagnosed some, and I believe it was just o-ring...