Code P0463 - Jeep has been sitting for years

Kline224

Hi all, I'm new to Jeeps and the forums here. I've read quite a bit since getting this Jeep from a family member and it's helped in figuring out the best parts etc to pick up as need be for it. But, there's a couple things here I'm looking for some insight on, thanks in advance for any help/info!

It's a 2004 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, and has been sitting for at least 5 years at this point before I got it. So far I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter, replaced a busted pully, and tossed a new battery in, with a bit more to tackle as I get along with the project. To my knowledge it didn't have much, if any, gas left in it when it was first parked, so I added 5 gallons of fresh gas with a bit of MMO and hooked the new battery up to try and see if it would crank (after spark plug replacements), no dice, didn't start.

The CEL came on which wasn't surprising given how long it's been sitting, so I plugged in my OBDII scanner and it said no codes were stored, so I flipped the key until the odometer displayed the codes (Learned that trick from the forums here, thanks!), of which there was only one, being P0463. I've read a bit about it on here already, but, there are a couple things I noticed in the engine bay that I wanted to ask about before diving into it since it involves wiring.

I found one connector not plugged in and for the life of me cannot find where it connects and another connector with a cut wire that's been zip tied to the other wires. I was wondering if these could be the issues and if not, what they were for regardless of that.

The Jeep is also a right hand drive, so the engine bay is a little backwards - Battery and some other stuff (Fuse box/PCM etc) is on the opposite side of the Jeep. Pictures attached and I put yellow marks on the connector/it's wire since I didn't realize the entire length of it wasn't in-frame. Thanks again for any info/help here

Edit: This morning I cleaned a couple of the ground connectors in the engine bay and swapped the fuel pump relay with the other identical relays to rule that out. Also removed the picture of the under hood light connector (Thanks Jamison)

Hoping I don't have to replace the fuel pump but it looks like that may be where it's heading

IMG-1132.JPG

Connector is for the optional under hood light. Couldn’t tell you what those wires/relays are for.

Hard to tell from those pics but those relays may be for the headlights. A known problem, the headlight bulb sockets and wires corrode, degrading light output. A common upgrade.

The relays appear to be aftermarket, so I would trace the wires themselves to see what they were installed for. I have 2 similar relays that I installed for additional driving lights. They should have nothing to do with your failure to run problem. I’m sure you have researched the trouble code and it’s for the fuel level sensor, however, have your checked to see if your fuel pump is actually pumping. Engine needs fuel, spark, and compression to run, so I would start with checking for fuel pressure at the injector rail, and use a timing light to check for spark.