College Budget Build

Got some ProComp Series 51 Steelies. I think the all black wheels against the white Jeep looks so good! And the 3 3/4" backspacing gives it the perfect stance IMO.

wheels.jpgwheels on.jpg

This was how she sat for the better part of a year and I was happy with it. It was capable for everything I wanted to do and I though it looked great! But of course I got the itch to start moding stuff again.

Last edited:
I knew I wanted to do a lift eventually but was waiting until I could save up to do it right. Facebook Marketplace had other plans.

I found a guy selling a set of RE 3.5 inch coils for $50! How could I pass that up? So I got the springs and was going to still wait till I had saved up enough to do it right. But seeing the springs just sitting there everyday was killing me! So against my better judgment I ordered some Rancho RS5000x shocks, an adjustable front trackbar, and longer bumpstops. Luckily my Jeep had a rear adjustable track bar already on it from the PO and I got a T-case skid drop kit from my buddy who had one lying around. Took me a weekend to get it all put under my Jeep with the help from the same friend who gave me the skid drop. An SYE and adjustable control arms are definitely coming up but wasn't in the budget at the time. I haven't noticed too much driveline vibration, a little bit, but not much more than on stock suspension.
95439DBF-DFD8-4C5F-A960-5FC127272B03.jpeg

146D79D6-F84E-44E9-BAC7-9030C6624225.jpeg
After putting on all the new parts, I realized how shot my stock suspension was. It rides and handles so much better now. I also got about 4-4.5" of lift with the new springs. I don't think it's because the new spring were that tall just the old ones were sagging so bad.

A few months after the lift was installed I found a guy selling some half doors in white with tan interior door panels exactly matching my Jeep and in excellent condition. I had been looking for a while for a good set of half doors so of course I couldn't pass them up and they were only about 30 minutes away from me. I think half doors on the TJ look so good and are so nice to have with the top down. I ended up selling my full doors to recoup the expense of the half door and have some extra for some other goodies!

70EF1643-AA95-420E-8BFD-834ED4C0442E.jpeg

With the leftover money from selling the full doors I was able to buy a bumper and tire carrier from Smittybilt and some rocksliders from Body Armor 4x4. I went with those rock sliders because they bolt on to the body mounts. I liked that because I already have the Rubicon rocker guards that I wanted to keep and didn't want to drill any more holes in the body. I think they look really nice paired with the rocker guards as well.

4CB4D432-C14F-48C0-A568-E3920ED42DD6.jpeg7F8E5922-86C5-4353-845D-4D091534DCB6.jpeg

Reactions: Just.Thorne71
I was getting ready to go on an overland trip to Arkansas 7 hours away and needed to get new tires. After the lift, those 31's were looking a little small so I decided to go back to 33's. I know that's probably not a great idea on stock gearing but having new gears and a locker put in is on the short list. It is noticeably slower on acceleration but not unbearable IMO. Where I really noticed the downsides was in the Ozark's. Going up those mountain roads was very hard especially in 3rd gear. Luckily, in East Texas where I live, the most elevation we have is rolling hills so it hasn't been terrible but definitely want to regear soon.

I went with General Grabber ATX's. They've been great! Good traction off-road, even in mud, and handle well on road. We had a snow and Ice storm this winter and they never slipped during that. Their tred pattern looks very similar to BFG KO2s if not a straight up copy. During the trip it felt like the 33's were much more capable than the 31's (probably placebo) on some of the same trails I'd done before.

TL;DR I really like my new 33's over 31's but I definitely need to regear.

D1E04722-5564-4001-A60B-D4262B9866BA.jpeg

And that's about all up to date on everything with my TJ!

Welp... My transmission went out the other day. I have completely lost the use of 3rd gear and reverse is just about gone as well. It was kind of weird that they went out basically right at the same time and without warning. About 8-9 months ago it started slipping when it was cold so I flushed and replaced my tranny fluid and that went away. I checked it the other day when it went out and fluid level was good. Anyone have any ideas about what may have caused this? I know 33's on stock gearing definitely didn't help and I did take a trip to Arkansas last summer where I drove through some pretty deep water and mud holes but never stopped in the water. Is there still a chance a little bit could have gotten in even while moving and just now effected it?

Luckily, I have a very reputable transmission shop only about a 1/2 mile from my house so I'll be able to limp it there in 1st and 2nd. I'm going to ask them to do the breather relocation but is there anything else that would be a good idea to do while they have it out?

• Sad
Reactions: FarFire70