Control arm and shock installation cost: What's a good price?

ejay

TJ Addict
I pulled the trigger on a set of Curie Johnny Joints and some RS9000xls to replace my worn out ProComp MX6s and Rubicon Express control arms.

Since I've moved from Commiefornia I've got to find a new shop to install things I either don't have the space or equipment to do myself or the time and willingness to do myself.

What's a ballpark rate that you think is fair for installation of the above customer supplied parts? Minus the alignment and tire rotation I'll get while I'm at it.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but as another guy with little free time right now, can you divide up the time and get a little bit done at a time? Something like a control arm per day.

Since your angles are presumably already set you could work one at a time fairly easily. They wouldn’t affect daily usage as you get a half hour or so a day to do those moves.

As to your question, I don’t know. That rate is likely dependent on your area. Find the rate you value your time for and go for that. Either way, you’ll probably need to fix something they did since few shops are proficient with custom TJs.

I would expect a ballpark of $500. Mechanics like to take their time and enjoy lunch and smokes on your dime. I wouldn't be in a hurry if I was making $100 an hour either. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob
Those upper rears are a bitch that I really don't feel like dealing with right now. With two girls, sports, lessons, still unpacking from the move, and not a lot of space without moving the wife out of the garage (I don't want to get the look) I'd rather pay someone else to do it at this point. Top that with the mother in law coming to visit for a few weeks and needing to use my commuter car to get around. I can't have the Jeep disabled for a good length of time.

$500-$600 is very reasonable in my book. I was just trying to get a ball park. Thanks.

trying to get an idea of the market for such tasks.
where are you located? of if you like your privacy how far from cleve, oh.?

"a shop" is the problem..........run the sucker up to Midas and let um have at it.
or pay a bit more for someone that knows how to do it.
or chuckle at a guy who's lookin to save guys like you a few dollars off shop rates and has a bit of exp at it.

to far is my call...........i'd be driggin my rig and wheelin the area. don't think i'd drive any amount to get into anybodys pockets. i can make plenty of $ from right here.

Funny. Everyone around here tells me to steer clear of Midas, Firestone, and the like. Most of the 'shops' around here have a good deal of experience installing the above from what I've heard.

On a side note, I see more TJs in this town (especially yellow ones) than I ever did on a daily basis in California.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Lots more Wranglers up here, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Jeep around here

I paid $1200 to have the local 4X4 shop in Monterey to install my savvy arms and do a full alignment and arm adjustment.
Probably a lot more than the job was worth but they build a ton of trucks and I trusted them to do it correctly
Of course they did tell me I should've bought Metal Cloak arms :unsure:

I'd see if you can hook up with a local Jeep club. There are guys around that will often help a brother out, for a much more reasonable cost than taking it to a shop where you have to pay for the mechanic and his overhead.

Reactions: ejay and SvtLdr
If you got a few estimates from local shops you could post them here. Ask some other folks who are in your area if the numbers look good. Labor rates tend to vary quite a bit based on your zip.

Reactions: ejay
Lots more Wranglers up here, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Jeep around here

I paid $1200 to have the local 4X4 shop in Monterey to install my savvy arms and do a full alignment and arm adjustment.
Probably a lot more than the job was worth but they build a ton of trucks and I trusted them to do it correctly
Of course they did tell me I should've bought Metal Cloak arms :unsure:
Yikes. That's a load of dough.

I'd see if you can hook up with a local Jeep club. There are guys around that will often help a brother out, for a much more reasonable cost than taking it to a shop where you have to pay for the mechanic and his overhead.
I'm done with clubs. Did that several times in the past and at least where I was and in my experience it always ended up with a bunch of egos battling it out.

Those upper rears are a bitch that I really don't feel like dealing with right now. With two girls, sports, lessons, still unpacking from the move, and not a lot of space without moving the wife out of the garage (I don't want to get the look) I'd rather pay someone else to do it at this point. Top that with the mother in law coming to visit for a few weeks and needing to use my commuter car to get around. I can't have the Jeep disabled for a good length of time.

$500-$600 is very reasonable in my book. I was just trying to get a ball park. Thanks.
Well just have the mother in law hand you the tools, good bonding time! Hahaha