Coolant overflow tank replacement

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
So, the overflow tank on 01 TJ apparently, came loose and rubbed on power steering pulley. It has a hole just above full mark, I sealed it and gorilla tapped it for now and put it back in position.

Do I just buy a plastic one on Amazon or similar or an aluminum one? Any benefit other than looks?

Thanks

Marine grade JB weld - fix/ sand the repair. Lay down some tape 1” wide On the vertical then paint the bottle
Paint hides the repair, pulling the tape off gives a view window to the fluid level- “Nothing to see here, it came factory that way;)

I got a Crown brand one off Amazon 4 years ago. Does what it's supposed too.

Thinking back on this, I think I took the cap off the original tank and put on the Crown tank. The one that came on it felt kind of flimsy.

If it doesn't have a sight tube, it would be pretty useless since the level in the overflow tank is how you tell when to add coolant.

X2, it's made so you can see through it to see the coolant level without having to take the cap off. I'd hate having an aluminum overflow tank.

I run that aluminum tank, and it is a pain to have to pull the cap to check the level. And it’s likely that you won’t catch it if the level drops quickly.

The advantage for me was that I had to shorten it to fit in my setup, and I could cut it, shorten it a bit, and weld it back together. Can’t do that as easily with the plastic tank.

I run that aluminum tank, and it is a pain to have to pull the cap to check the level. And it’s likely that you won’t catch it if the level drops quickly.

The advantage for me was that I had to shorten it to fit in my setup, and I could cut it, shorten it a bit, and weld it back together. Can’t do that as easily with the plastic tank.

Put a sight tube on it.

I just watched CL and pulled one off a Jeep that was being parted out.

Deep Jeeps and Davey's Jeep should have one too.

-Mac

They're only $20-30 new on Amazon. I'll just order one. Possibly could find one elsewhere for less, but not worth the hassle to me. Honestly, the current one patched would probably survive, but my teen daughter drives this and it's not worth the risk of her being stranded or blowing up the motor because she didn't catch it overheating. I just figured if the aluminum was better for some odd reason, I'd go that route, but sounds like just a 'kewl' factor and that's not worth $50 extra IMO.

You could make your own:

IMG_2553_V1_-_RESIZE_2048x2048.jpg