Cost benefit analysis on going to 33s?

Cost Benefit Analysis just delays the inevitable ... Go ahead & Just Empty Every Pocket. (It is less stressful.)

Reactions: DrDmoney
Unless you're running into an issue where you're pushing the Jeep to it's limits, I'm not sure there is any benefit at all (other than looking cool).

How often are you offroad? What kind of offroad are you on? Fire roads and most trails can be done with a totally stock Jeep. You will probably get more 'bang for your buck' getting lockers instead of springs.
Drive it for a good 6 months. Make sure everything is mechanically sound before you modify it. Keep track of everything you need to fix, everything you want to change, everything it can't do in its present form. After all that you will be in a much better place to decide what needs to be done. And your bank account should be in better shape to pay for it.

I say don’t do it. Stay as is. When you think you have all the costs figured out, it’ll cost more. It’s an expensive hobby. Just when you think you’re done, you’re not.

Another thing I didn’t see mentioned was your wheels. Do you already have aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing for 33x12.5 tires? If not, you will need wheel spacers or new rims with the proper ~3.75” to 4” of backspace.

Last edited:
3” more at the frame, 1” more at the diffs, larger tires means easier roll over obstacles, need regear...without going into it all, you’re looking at $5k to run 33’s.

I’d shoot for a 2” OME with a 0.5” spacer and run 32’s. Easy

I’d shoot for a 2” OME with a 0.5” spacer and run 32’s. Easy
This route. I’d even say get 2” spacers if you want to save more coin. Get some longer rancho 5000x shocks, extended bumpstops and 32s and call it a day . This is what the PO of my Jeep did and it was perfectly fine. I could have left it that way but I can never leave well enough alone😬.....fast forward to the present, thousands of dollars lighter😂😭

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
This route. I’d even say get 2” spacers if you want to save more coin. Get some longer rancho 5000x shocks, extended bumpstops and 32s and call it a day . This is what the PO of my Jeep did and it was perfectly fine. I could have left it that way but I can never leave well enough alone😬.....fast forward to the present, thousands of dollars lighter😂😭

I’ve intentionally lost count of how many dollars I’ve pissed down the jeep hole, to know that number would be depressing and I’d rather live happily in a state of blissful ignorance, which I do. I find that helps with the larger world too.

I'm now going back into my garage to fuck around with my TJ some more because, I'm really not sure.

Thank you for your attention to this most important matter, and good day.

So I got a zone 4.25 combo lift which consists of a 1.25 inch body lift, 1 inch engine mount lift and a 3 inch suspension lift with Fox shocks for 700 dollars off eBay. That is a perfect option for running 33 12.5’s
Add in a jks front track bar for 230
I got steel pro comp rims and pro comp mt2 tires mounted balanced and shipped from 4wheelparts for 1000 dollars on sale. This setup worked perfectly. And is really badass off road.
I had the 42re transmission with 3.73 gears and it worked fine on the road. I just had to turn off overdrive every time I got in the Jeep which wasn’t a issue. It was a little slow but really but that big of a deal. I also redid all the brakes with black magic brake pads up front. Definitely worth the money.

With this setup it also leaves you with a ton of room for improvement down the road. I now have Currie control arms on it as well as lockers front and rear and 5.13 gears. My next upgrades are going to be Currie steering and work my way to doing a tummy tuck and sye plus drive shaft.

Reactions: JMT
I’ve intentionally lost count of how many dollars I’ve pissed down the jeep hole, to know that number would be depressing and I’d rather live happily in a state of blissful ignorance, which I do. I find that helps with the larger world too.

I'm now going back into my garage to fuck around with my TJ some more because, I'm really not sure.

Thank you for your attention to this most important matter, and good day.
I’m not sure how many times I tinker when there’s nothing to tinker. Just for the sake of tinkering. I’m a mod lull these days so there’s a lot of tinkering going on.

I kept track of costs for the first year. Then I lost track. Now I just have a running estimate which I tell myself is lower than it probably is.

You are missing a very important variable from your calculations: How much more cool it will look and how much more fun it will be to drive

Exactly. Example:

Not bitchin:
20190103_163739.jpg

Bitchin:
20190511_123324.jpg

Now, as far as number of dollars to get there....well......

Yep you’re right, it’s my money. The reason I started this thread was to get a better understanding. And I appreciate all of help I’ve gotten from this forum.

I'm a bit confused, do you want all that shit or are you looking to see if you really need all that shit?

Is your stock suspension is in a bad shape and you are struggling to run 31's without issues?

NO?:
Regear. Get 4.56 into that carrier and be mind blown, it becomes a totally new Jeep. Once you do that, drive around for a month or so, see if you like your 31's with that gear ratio. Some may say it is a bit too much gear, and to a tiny extent i agree, 3000rpm doing 70mph is a bit questionable... But, i drive my 31.7" and 4.56 combo for two month now, and i cant see myself losing all this freedom and spirit my Jeep gained after the regear.

31's are more than enough for most things. From my experience, when i was in places where 31's were not enough, those were the places where 35's would be barely enough. The more i think about 33's, the more i see them as a pointless sacrifice just for the looks. Looks can be deceiving too, my Jeep on 31-32's got more compliments than any other Jeep next to me on 35's.... But, if you really want them, you will have 4.56 to support them.

Stock suspension is very capable, however you will need adjustable control arms once you start lifting higher. Adjustable arms is the not only thing you will need.

YES?:
Suspension first. Your tire size is more than capable and you have plenty of gears for it.
My Jeeps suspension was in a bad shape when i got it, thing was not stable on the road, so i went suspension rout first.
What you don't need was already mentioned before. But then again, i am not sure of your purpose for asking this.

There are two types of Jeepers here:
1. Those who tried, ran into issues and started looking for the solutions.
2. Those who didn't try, yet already think they have tons of issues, and now cant make up their mind between tons of solutions, because they have no clue on what the issue is.

Also, refer to this guide if you have not done so yet:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

I'm a bit confused, do you want all that shit or are you looking to see if you really need all that shit?

Is your stock suspension is in a bad shape and you are struggling to run 31's without issues?

NO?:
Regear. Get 4.56 into that carrier and be mind blown, it becomes a totally new Jeep. Once you do that, drive around for a month or so, see if you like your 31's with that gear ratio. Some may say it is a bit too much gear, and to a tiny extent i agree, 3000rpm doing 70mph is a bit questionable... But, i drive my 31.7" and 4.56 combo for two month now, and i cant see myself losing all this freedom and spirit my Jeep gained after the regear.

31's are more than enough for most things. From my experience, when i was in places where 31's were not enough, those were the places where 35's would be barely enough. The more i think about 33's, the more i see them as a pointless sacrifice just for the looks. Looks can be deceiving too, my Jeep on 31-32's got more compliments than any other Jeep next to me on 35's.... But, if you really want them, you will have 4.56 to support them.

Stock suspension is very capable, however you will need adjustable control arms once you start lifting higher. Adjustable arms is the not only thing you will need.

YES?:
Suspension first. Your tire size is more than capable and you have plenty of gears for it.
My Jeeps suspension was in a bad shape when i got it, thing was not stable on the road, so i went suspension rout first.
What you don't need was already mentioned before. But then again, i am not sure of your purpose for asking this.

There are two types of Jeepers here:
1. Those who tried, ran into issues and started looking for the solutions.
2. Those who didn't try, yet already think they have tons of issues, and now cant make up their mind between tons of solutions, because they have no clue on what the issue is.

Also, refer to this guide if you have not done so yet:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/
Dude, you live in Florida. So, it all depends on where you live. When I got on this forum 3 years ago, 99/100 people told me to get 2.5” OME and 31’s and I could go anywhere. I did that and it didn’t work, unless I wanted to continue to beat the s**t out of my control arms, diffs, TCase skid, gas tank, and destroy the edge of my tub. As great as it looked, it was not sufficient to take me anywhere I wanted. My oil pan got a serious hit. It survived, but needed more lift. At 3” you can avoid aftermarket CA’s and add a 1.25” BL and rum 33’s, with proper gearing, of course, as you mentioned. Just sayin.

In the end, the Zone 4.25” combo is a good entry level lift for 33’s.

Reactions: rasband