COVID-19 Home-School Auto Shop: 1998 Sport

OP
Sea Cot

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Joined
May 2, 2019
Messages
692
Location
S.E. MI
Achieved a major milestone today- the POS started off the tank and moved under its own power!

Nice weather allowed late night grinds after the seasonal honey-do's were completed. The "new" rear driveshaft is in after a pass thought he blast cabinet and rattle can booth, rear diff is filled after letting the fluid warm in the sun for a bit, coolant system is mostly filled, and the LED reverse lights work great.

We pushed the Jeep outside before the test fire. Key on and no leaks meant let 'er rip, and so we did. Nothing leaked, brakes and clutch were on-point, charging system works, and we had good oil pressure. We ran a few cycles of let the crud burn off and shut 'er off. Repeat a few more times until the crud is gone. So far, so good. The engine sounded decent but there were a lot of loose bits rattling around (exhaust clamp on downpipe for instance) that were drawing attention. Slowly whittlin' down the list. . .



20220424_130440.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mike_H and PRNDL
OP
Sea Cot

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Joined
May 2, 2019
Messages
692
Location
S.E. MI
Made some progress over the past couple weeks. The underside is almost 100% buttoned up. Just need to get front coil spring retainers installed, fish out a broken front U-joint strap bolt from the yoke, and align the wheels.

Under the hood is mostly sorted out. With the front clip in place, need to run the front end harness, populate the bulb sockets, and see what works and doesn't. The EVAP canister isn't hooked up and I discovered the fenders are later model year that doesn't use the giant brick canister.

The front clip and seats went straight from 2 years of barn storage on to the Jeep. . . and my OCD didn't bat an eye.. .yet.
The red fenders are annoying, but I'm considering getting them painted. Maybe, maybe not.

The interior looks decent in pics, but needs a deep clean. In due time. Overall feeling relieved that this can be roadworthy for my son to occasionally drive during his senior year next year.

Really need to test drive this thing. The 255s are ~32" tall and the Jeep doesn't have spring nor body lift. I do have a Savvy body lift if more altitude needed.


20220604_201138.jpg


20220604_201259.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mike_H

Mike_H

Off-Camber is scary
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
9,012
Location
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
Made some progress over the past couple weeks. The underside is almost 100% buttoned up. Just need to get front coil spring retainers installed, fish out a broken front U-joint strap bolt from the yoke, and align the wheels.

Under the hood is mostly sorted out. With the front clip in place, need to run the front end harness, populate the bulb sockets, and see what works and doesn't. The EVAP canister isn't hooked up and I discovered the fenders are later model year that doesn't use the giant brick canister.

The front clip and seats went straight from 2 years of barn storage on to the Jeep. . . and my OCD didn't bat an eye.. .yet.
The red fenders are annoying, but I'm considering getting them painted. Maybe, maybe not.

The interior looks decent in pics, but needs a deep clean. In due time. Overall feeling relieved that this can be roadworthy for my son to occasionally drive during his senior year next year.

Really need to test drive this thing. The 255s are ~32" tall and the Jeep doesn't have spring nor body lift. I do have a Savvy body lift if more altitude needed.


View attachment 334910

View attachment 334911

I ran JK wheels and tires with a 3/4" spring puck front and rear. No issue. The body lift should do it too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sea Cot
OP
Sea Cot

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Joined
May 2, 2019
Messages
692
Location
S.E. MI
A few updates since the last post. I test drove Jeep around the neighborhood a few weeks ago. A headlight trim ring fell off, whoops. The idle was irregular, CEL on, but engine smooth under load. Brakes and steering worked as expected.

The project is ~90% complete. The electrical system was the last major hurdle to overcome.

Had an issue with turn & stop lights that was solved by installing a "new" turn signal/multifunction switch. LINK to more details

The engine made a squeal on startup and the idle was very irregular fluctuating between 200-1000 RPM before stalling out after ~60 sec. A few codes were present:
  • P1682 charging system output low
  • P0463 fuel level sensor "A" circuit high
  • P1391 loss of cam or crank signal
I ordered a Crown distributor and installed it yesterday initially with mixed results. With #1 @ TDC verified on the timing indicator (balancer mark at 0*), borescope in #1, the oil pump @ ~11 o'clock, and the distributor body perpendicular to the block I was unable to get the rotor pointed at 5 o'clock. I could only get 4, 6, or 7 no matter what I tried. The fuel gauge would not respond with the Crown unit installed.

I re-installed the original distributor and was able to get rotor at 5 o'clock on the first attempt. I moved the new electronics in to the old housing, buttoned 'er up, and it started right away. No CELs, smooth and steady idle, no squeaks or squeals upon start-up. We're marking it a win, calling it done, and throwing the extra parts in the spares bin.

Other small, but satisfying, tasks completed were replacing the footwell bulbs and installing the OEM cassette radio. My son got a chuckle from playing a cassette for the 1st time. I was surprised/lucky to find a cassette in the garage tape deck. It must have been in there since the late '90s. lol.