Cracked boots on steering stabilizer

weldedcambolt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought a heavy duty front stabalizer bar about a year ago, an the boots, are all cracking. has anybody had this problem, with their plastic/rubber boots that go over the greasable joint? junk boots or bad grease or I may hav followed a leaking corrosive rubber tanker truck?:) thanks

thanks,
I was just wondering if, these boots are degrading fast for others also, or did someone heat em up, when i got it aligned?.....a little strange...cause they cant be but a year or too old, when i put em on. maybe i can massage some olive oil on em to keep em fresh? what u think? anybody out there rubbin down their joint boots? if so what they using?

img004.jpg

anybody wanna come up with the secret massage joint boot oitment, i will be the spokesperson for it. :)

I'd you use a petroleum based grease? If so that would explain things. You need a lithium or silicone grease with rubber. Petroleum based greases kill them.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

or maybe, i packed it with to much grease an it expanded an thats the reason for the cracking season? how bout this one, we invent the tool that you push on the boot, like a tire gauge, an it determines the pressure of the grease against the boot, an each boot for each joint will have its own measurement, to determine if you got enough or to much grease in the boot. so all car manuals will have a boot grease pressure measurement figure. you people seen it here, the ground breaking boot grease pressure measurement figure, thread on wranglertjforum, that will revolutionize the way the world looks at greaseable joint boots...:) thall be running into dealerships far an wide, wanting to get their joint boots greased properly....... 55th commandment - thou shalll grease&oitment the boots properly.

Last edited:
or maybe, i packed it with to much grease an it expanded an thats the reason for the cracking season? how bout this one, we invent the tool that you push on the boot, like a tire gauge, an it determines the pressure of the grease against the boot, an each boot for each joint will have its own measurement, to determine if you got enough or to much grease in the boot. .
I dunno if you were serious or not but just because the boot is full only says it is full... of something. Grease absorbs grit, dirt, worn metal particulates, etc. so it needs to be flushed out. That boot can actually do more harm than good if it's full of dirty contaminated grease.

Reactions: dmatt13
well, after looking at that picture an the arm, the power steering was leakin a bit, awhile ago, an it was rollin down onto the boot, so i would think power steering fluid is petroleum based, an caused the cracking. the boot on the other side, got some rub marks but no cracks, like that one. thanks all for the comments, to help me get to the root of it:)

J B, are those boots sealed to the point where you cant over fill them an they will pop, in case i had petroleum grease, an wanted to flush them out, an put silicone in, or can you just keep pushing the grease till they overflow out the sides?

Don't overthink this. Just use a red grease like Valvoline made for Chrysler vehicles, Lucas Red & Tacky.etc. grease. Those boots are sealed so they just trap the bad stuff too. I would not worry about popping them, I haven't had the OE grease boots there in probably 15-18 years.

I got a thinker flood gate brain JB...it wont stop. no detail un thought, except when i bolt the master cyclinder on an the proportional valve bracket at the same time without spacing the nuts apart, an got to loosen the nuts back off, on a foot long bolt:) Okay, thanks J B

Hey guys does this look right to anyone I'm new to jeeps just purchased this .....the stabilizer looks a little out of place

20180611_183025.jpg

20180611_183028.jpg

Hey guys does this look right to anyone I'm new to jeeps just purchased this .....the stabilizer looks a little out of place
Just the second one, that's on there for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And what's with the welded on mounting bracket??

Just the second one, that's on there for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And what's with the welded on mounting bracket??

I have no idea I just purchased it like this ....I just purchased the tea that goes to the drag should I just eliminate those

What... The... Actual... F...
That's a bit of an abortion, go back to a stock stabilizer setup and cut that stupid bracket off the frame. I'm surprised that doesn't cause more problems than anything else. Someone tried to use front shocks to bastardize a dual stabilizer setup that is only needed to cover up other suspension issues that they should just have fixed in the first place. That and if you live anywhere that sees water if cut the boots off the stabilizer you keep as they just trap water against the shock.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What... The... Actual... F...
That's a bit of an abortion, go back to a stock stabilizer setup and cut that stupid bracket off the frame. I'm surprised that doesn't cause more problems than anything else. Someone tried to use front shocks to bastardize a dual stabilizer setup that is only needed to cover up other suspension issues that they should just have fixed in the first place. That and if you live anywhere that sees water if cut the boots off the stabilizer you keep as they just trap water against the shock.

Thanks for the info really wish I had a little more knowledge of it ...but in do time by looking do my ends look like they need changing

Loose ends would cause all kinds of issues that's for sure.

X2 to the above advice to cut that bracket holding the two shocks to the frame and restore the OE design using a single steering damper (less correctly known as a stabilizer). That's one of the more Rube Goldberg setups that I've ever seen on a Jeep, installed by someone who both didn't know what he was doing and did it for looks.. Not to mention that second steering damper is doing nothing good and it's making your steering system and power steering pump work harder than it should.