Cracked Windshield

JP13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
:confused: My windshield cracked.
Does anyone know where I can find shatterproof glass? Any other ideas? Thanks.

I'm not sure something like this even exists on the main stream market. Even if it did it would be plexiglass, and the problem with that is while it work crack it will haze and get foggy over time (unlike glass), so you actually wouldn't want it anyways.

Well, a shatterproof windshield is basically going to be bulletproof glass. There's absolutely nowhere you're going to be able to just be able to buy a bulletproof glass window ready to go. That sort of stuff is custom done.

You're honest to god best bet is to try and find a local place that does bulletproof glass conversions. They could cut you a piece of plexiglass that is the right fit.

I have a film installed on my home windows that they claim you can't smash with a bowling ball and you can't see it. Perfectly clear. Would that work on a windshield?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
You could get a plexiglass window, but someone would have to cut it to fit.

I figured as much. If you crack your windshield, I think the obvious solution is to simply be more careful.

I know that's not the answer the OP wants, but it is the correct answer.

Automotive windshields are made from laminated safety glass which is considered shatterproof. There's a layer of plastic inside them that holds the windshield together so it doesn't shatter into pieces like from an impact as window glass would. That's why your windshield cracked and didn't break into pieces.

Last edited:
The cause was temperature difference. Cold outside, hot inside. I've never had a windshield cracked from the defrost set on high. I've also not had heat
that's as hot as the TJ either.

When I replace things, I always upgrade if possible. I might try the windshield in the link I had post.

not sure I'd believe the temp thing. I've lived at -40 and pulled into a car wash without ever cracking a windshield.

More likely a rock chip or some other physical stress.

not sure I'd believe the temp thing. I've lived at -40 and pulled into a car wash without ever cracking a windshield.

No chips. Just a crack that began at the bottom center and grows every time it's parked.

Reactions: Zaythedad

I sure have. Olds 442 1973 in Kentucky. Very much below freezing and the water pump went out. Before the freaking Idiot lights came on there was a huge spike in defroster temp. When the windshield cracked. No there were no chips etc. just a blast of HOT air on cold glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13 and Chris
I sure have. Olds 442 1973 in Kentucky. Very much below freezing and the water pump went out. Before the freaking Idoit lights came on there was a huge spike in defroster temp. Why eind shield cracked. No there were no chips etc. just a blast of HOT air on cold glass.

Which is why I want to prevent the problem from happening again by replacing the glass with something shatterproof. I think I'll give the Optic Armor a try.

http://www.jeepglass.com/9705.htm

Once again, the OE laminated safety glass windshield is already shatterproof. You'd be looking through a hole instead of a crack if it wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinger
Once again, the OE laminated safety glass windshield is already shatterproof. You'd be looking through a hole instead of a crack if it wasn't.

I want to prevent the windshield from cracking again. I'm not interested in replacing my OE windshield with an OE windshield. Thanks for the input.