Crank Position Sensor 98 4.0 Auto

BonesXX

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have given up on finding a Mopar sensor.

From what I can gather the next best options are Echlin or NTK. Any opinions/experiences with these two?

Also any tips on the install?

TIA

I went with an Echlin on my 97. After months of chasing random misfires it solved my problem. Still working great a year later.

Now the Napa thermostat i bought was complete crap...but that's Napa...they don't make their parts.

-Mac

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
For educational purposes... what's going on?

-Mac

It’s been basically shutting down or a brief hard stall. I also have the DTC. Yesterday it shut down and wouldn’t start. I unplugged the sensor and reconnected and it started.

It’s been gradually worsening for a few weeks. 89k on the clock so…

Reactions: macleanflood
I bought the NTK and installed. Took about twenty minutes with a 90t gear 1/4 ratchet and about 8 inches of extension. A normal ratchet would have taken significantly longer I believe.

BTW the NTK box says made in the USA. I know they adhere to ISO standards in most products, according to the website.

After a 45 minute test drive at speeds from 35 to 85 mph all is good.

Something l wasn’t expecting is the engine seems to be slightly smoother at idle.

Will report as time progresses.

PS. My local mopar parts is a TJ guy. He said the older years in particular are finicky about cheap sensors.

I bought the NTK and installed. Took about twenty minutes with a 90t gear 1/4 ratchet and about 8 inches of extension. A normal ratchet would have taken significantly longer I believe.

BTW the NTK box says made in the USA. I know they adhere to ISO standards in most products, according to the website.

Something l wasn’t expecting is the engine seems to be slightly smoother at idle.

PS. My local mopar parts is a TJ guy. He said the older years in particular are finicky about cheap sensors.

I had a similar experience with NTK. Made in USA and looks identical to the original Mopar I took out. Seemed like a quality unit and idle was smooth. But I was getting a misfire above 3000 RPMs. Tried the Echelon and it was slightly less smooth with the same misfire. I really think some relearning process was needed but even the dealer was clueless to what that was. Finally tracked down Mopar unit off the bay and it’s been running fine since.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Was it throwing a misfire code? Just curious what it was. Not sure about a learning process but I did let it idle for maybe ten minutes while I was cleaning up, then did the test drive.

Mine actually had an occasional “shudder” at idle but no codes. So far that is gone.

I had a similar experience with NTK. Made in USA and looks identical to the original Mopar I took out. Seemed like a quality unit and idle was smooth. But I was getting a misfire above 3000 RPMs. Tried the Echelon and it was slightly less smooth with the same misfire. I really think some relearning process was needed but even the dealer was clueless to what that was. Finally tracked down Mopar unit off the bay and it’s been running fine since.

Was it throwing a misfire code? Just curious what it was. Not sure about a learning process but I did let it idle for maybe ten minutes while I was cleaning up, then did the test drive.

Mine actually had an occasional “shudder” at idle but no codes. So far that is gone.

Yes - I was getting a random misfire code. Took it to 3 different places to diagnose. Dealer said I needed a rebuild. One place said I needed a new ignition rail which I replaced with a Mopar unit with same result. Third place had no clue. I drove it like this for a few months which was not too bad since this only happened at high RPMs and it’s only a weekend vehicle. Regardless, I set a notification for eBay and managed to snag a brand new Mopar unit. Mopar had discontinued this part but the one I bought made it look like production was starting back up since the packaging did not look NOS to me so there still may be some out there. Also mine is a 2001 auto so that could be different too.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

One month update. All is good. No issues throughout the rpm range or at idle. BTW I caught a sale and paid about $50 at Advance. Had to buy online and pick up in store to get the discount.