Crazy beeping after using turn signals

Willys LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since my wife went into the hospital a few weeks ago and I've been doing a lot of driving home at night, I've finally starting to look at this crazy beeping that comes out of the dash when the headlights are on in my '05 LJ. It's been doing doing this for a good while but I haven't been driving at night a lot until now, so it was way down on the "to do list".

If I momentarily turn the left turn signal for a quick flash, it quits. A couple of minutes later, it's back until I hit the left signal again. The right signal doesn't do a thing to make it quit and it only does it when the headlights are on.

I did convert the parking/tail, brake lights and turn signals to LED bulbs last year with a new LED flasher to stop the hyper flashing, but I'm not sure if that would have caused or contributed to the problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what to look for to fix it.

Apparently, on some TJ's (I haven't heard it on mine) if you leave the blinker on too long, it beeps as a reminder. It sounds like your TJ thinks the left blinker is still on. Swap back to standard incandescent and I bet the problem goes away.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
@dbbd1 has a good suggestion.

If that doesn't work, your multi-function switch may be going out. There seems to be a lot of weird electrical and lighting thing's that happen when they go out.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have the same beeping. Although with mine, my passenger side marker/blinker doesn't work. I think that the socket is bad. So when I try to turn my right blinker on, it goes really fast. I have tried replacing the bulb and that did not help. Sometimes, my right blinker arrow on my dash stays on. I am going to replace the socket and see if that fixes my problem.

@dbbd1 has a good suggestion.

If that doesn't work, your multi-function switch may be going out. There seems to be a lot of weird electrical and lighting thing's that happen when they go out.

I'm hoping to not to have to take that darn multifunction switch apart again. I had to take it apart right after I got the Jeep to fix a foglight problem.

• Sad
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Did you replace it?
And, with which brand?

Nope, took it apart, fixed the problem with some JB Weld and a piece cut out of a RC can, then put it back together and have run it since. That crazy beep predates my foglight repair.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I finally got this sorted out. I eventually figured out it would only start up with the head lights on. I figured that out by driving it a few times with just the parking lights on and it never would start the beeping. Turn on the headlights and after 5 minutes or so, that crazy beeping would start up again.

I had already switched back to the stock type incandescent bulbs on the turn signals with a regular type signal flasher and it was still doing it. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new OEM Mopar multifunction switch for it. Got the new switch in and replaced the old one (kept it for future parts purposes) and the crazy beeping hasn't shown back up since. But the old flasher started constantly clicking when the switch was on in either the ignition or acc position. I went to the local parts store and bought a new flasher and it was still doing it. So, bit the bullet again and bought a OEM Mopar flasher relay and now it's nice and quiet.

I guess there's something to be said for OEM Mopar parts.

I finally got this sorted out. I eventually figured out it would only start up with the head lights on. I figured that out by driving it a few times with just the parking lights on and it never would start the beeping. Turn on the headlights and after 5 minutes or so, that crazy beeping would start up again.

I had already switched back to the stock type incandescent bulbs on the turn signals with a regular type signal flasher and it was still doing it. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new OEM Mopar multifunction switch for it. Got the new switch in and replaced the old one (kept it for future parts purposes) and the crazy beeping hasn't shown back up since. But the old flasher started constantly clicking when the switch was on in either the ignition or acc position. I went to the local parts store and bought a new flasher and it was still doing it. So, bit the bullet again and bought a OEM Mopar flasher relay and now it's nice and quiet.

I guess there's something to be said for OEM Mopar parts.

what is the difference between the multifunction switch and the flasher Flasher Relay? i thought they were the same thing? I replaced this and still have the same second issue as you

what is the difference between the multifunction switch and the flasher Flasher Relay? i thought they were the same thing? I replaced this and still have the same second issue as you

The flasher relay just controls the on/off of the flasher. The multifunction switch controls....wait for it....multiple functions such as lights, turn signals, wipers etc. If your lights are solid w/o blinking, probably the relay. If S is all haywire, probably the switch.

Mine beeped for the first time the other day.
No lights or blinkers were on.
I jiggled the MFS and it went away.
Always figured mine would be good since I installed headlight and foglight relays years ago.