Creaky clutch

JeepMama

2006 with 6spd manual... clutch started creaking off and on a few weeks ago. Sounds like a squeaky spring going down, no noise when released. Comes and goes, it's not constant. The jeep has 112k miles, dont know if it's the original clutch. The noise started shortly after we took the doors off, which I assumed was completely unrelated. But then I saw someone else mention theirs squeaked more with doors off - maybe bc of moisture/humidity? Still seems unlikely to me that it's related. Could this just be a squeaky pedal? Is the clutch going? Do we need to address immediately or can we wait and see if it gets worse? Its my teenage son's Jeep. We don't expect it to run like it's brand new. But I don't want to ignore something if it needs attention sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
You probably just hear whatever it is easier when the doors are off. When my doors come off, I hear all kinds of noises that I didn’t hear before.

Reactions: Danarch
You probably just hear whatever it is easier when the doors are off. When my doors come off, I hear all kinds of noises that I didn’t hear before.

We don't only hear it when doors are off, but that was the first time we noticed it. I've heard it now with doors on too. It comes and goes regardless of the door situation. But yes, all kinds of new sounds with doors off 😬

Might be the pivot ball for the clutch fork.
Seems to be a common problem. My 99 creaked like crazy. When I replaced the clutch I replaced the pivot and greased it and no more noise. My 06 LJR with 6 speed is now doing the same especially when it warms up.

I would look under the dash board and inspect the actuating rod that is attached to the clutch pedal where the actuating rod goes into the clutch master cylinder looking for hydraulic fluid weeping.
Remove the cap on the clutch master cylinder and check the fluid level and what is the condition of the fluid.
Noises can be heard when the clutch master cylinder is starting to go bad.
That is what I heard on my ‘01 shortly before the clutch master cylinder stopped working.

After sitting for almost 24 hours and being parked in the garage overnight... clutch doesn't make a peep. So it does seem to be related to heat/humidity.