Crown Control Arms

Jytrbug

Replacing the oem upper control arms on my 04 rubicon. Has anyboby had an issue with the Crown bolt sleeve in the bushing being much larger than the stock arm? My oem bolts have alot of movement.

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

Just wanted to bump this up for you. I have no experience with them, but I’ve seen them recommended a lot as a stock replacement.

That does seem to not be a very good fit. Hopefully you’ll get some replies.

X2, same here on all that. @mrblaine will confirm it's more about proper clamping force being more important than the bolt filling the hole but that sure seems to be a larger diameter bolt sleeve than seems right.

Just wanted to bump this up for you. I have no experience with them, but I’ve seen them recommended a lot as a stock replacement.

Yeah I've read positive reviews also. So i contacted Crown and they measured a set of uca they have and it was 10.25mm. My oe bolt is 9.88mm. That would work but the new crown uca i bought measure 13.81mm rendering excessive play.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
X2, same here on all that. @mrblaine will confirm it's more about proper clamping force being more important than the bolt filling the hole but that sure seems to be a larger diameter bolt sleeve than seems right.
It isn't correct, but as long as he pushes them both to the front or the back before tightening, it won't hurt a thing.

Reactions: Jytrbug
Yeah I've read positive reviews also. So i contacted Crown and they measured a set of uca they have and it was 10.25mm. My oe bolt is 9.88mm. That would work but the new crown uca i bought measure 13.81mm rendering excessive play.
You have a slightly oversize hole. Once it is clamped by the bolt, there is no excessive play. Bias both arms the same, front or back and it will be fine.

Ok thanks for the input. Crown rep said I have to contact seller through Amazon for warranty replace. We'll see how that goes. So as I understand it once the sleeve is torqued between the mount flanges it shouldn't move.

While I understand the method of tensioning the bolt enough to cause a friction joint in structural applications, this is more "dynamic loading" and I would want the correct size hole in the new control arm. You're asking a lot from the small friction surface of the control arm bushing edge vs the torque and weight of your Jeep trying to crawl over an obstacle pushing and pulling on that connection.

While I understand the method of tensioning the bolt enough to cause a friction joint in structural applications, this is more "dynamic loading" and I would want the correct size hole in the new control arm. You're asking a lot from the small friction surface of the control arm bushing edge vs the torque and weight of your Jeep trying to crawl over an obstacle pushing and pulling on that connection.

Can you point out a bolted connection anywhere on the Jeep where the hole size exactly matches the bolt diameter?

Take a very close look at the slotted holes on the front lower control arm mounts. You've been asking a lot from them all this time. Have they let you down?

Reactions: Fughuert and fuse
This is what my stock Mopar control arms looked like after I removed them. I didn't compare to the size of the bolts, but if you just eyeball it the sleeves in the bushings appear to be about the same size as the Crown control arms.

If nothing else, they're certainly too big to be a tight fit for those bolts.

Doesn't matter what the loading it. It is a load, dynamic or otherwise and the hole size has nothing to do with the integrity of the connection within reason and that hole is well within reason. It the hole were a perfect fit it would fail if the bolt sleeve were to ever be allowed to move and the only way you can stop it from moving is with clamping force, period.

This is what my stock Mopar control arms looked like after I removed them. I didn't compare to the size of the bolts, but if you just eyeball it the sleeves in the bushings appear to be about the same size as the Crown control arms.

View attachment 78187

If nothing else, they're certainly too big to be a tight fit for those bolts.
Look at the upper left arm and pay attention to those two small snips of circles that show where the slot was clamped to the end of the bolt sleeve. That is all the contact area that was used and it did not fail.

Reactions: fuse
I think maybe quality control skipped these as they are 3mm+ larger. Hopefully the seller exchanges them.

Yeah it would work but I don't want to settle for sub par components when I paid for better product.

I have noticed that of a lot of the part stores diff housing clevites are coming with sleeves for 12mm bolts instead of 10mm lately. Would not be surprised to see more of this.