Crunchy NSG370 Transmission

jrcotner

Supporting Member
The six speed manual transmission on my new-to-me '05 Rubicon seemed to be shift a little rough, so I changed fluid to Red Line MTL. I drove it around and shifting has improved somewhat, but it still has a sort of crunchy feel. The Rubi only has 85,000 miles, so I don't suspect the trans would need a rebuild just yet. Or would it? Any thoughts on what may cause this?

It is a flaw with the NSG370. Keep running it, it could continue getting better, but chances are you'll need a new/rebuild trans at some point. We bought our '05 TJ new, and about the same mileage it started popping out of reverse when you let out the clutch... had to hold it in gear. We replaced it with a brand new MOPAR transmission back in 2013, and have not had any issues since... apparently the new trans was slightly redesigned.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that it doesn't like to stay engaged in reverse, either. I took my '46 CJ2a out for a spin yesterday and its 76 year old three speed transmission shifts smoothly and has a comforting *SNICK* when going into gear, unlike my '05 Wrangler. One would hope that a modern transmission would be at least as good as the venerable CJ2a.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that it doesn't like to stay engaged in reverse, either. I took my '46 CJ2a out for a spin yesterday and its 76 year old three speed transmission shifts smoothly and has a comforting *SNICK* when going into gear, unlike my '05 Wrangler. One would hope that a modern transmission would be at least as good as the venerable CJ2a.
On the plus side, the new trans I put in feels and shifts like it should, and have not had any issues at all.

I am not certain, bell housing may be different, but it might be the same trans in a JK. I know a lot of the rebuilt (reputable) NSG370s have the redesigned parts in them, and should not have the same issue.

I just had my 05's rebuilt last week for the reverse issue at 88k. Everything else looked good.
The only other issue I had was second gear isn't always the smoothest, which seems to still be true.
But I also haven't tried Red Line either. Shop put Mopar fluid back in it.
I'm just happy I don't have to be terrified of reverse now.

I filled my new mopar transmission with the royal purple equivalent of the redline. (I wanted to know what fluid was leaking based on color...)

• Haha
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
Its said the Jeep won WWII. Based of ownership and this forum as well as others we'd be F'ed if they used TJ's or LJ's in WWIII. Seems like once the 5 speeds hit the vehicles many to went to shit. Nothing like a NP435/205 combo for rock solid durability.

Its said the Jeep won WWII. Based of ownership and this forum as well as others we'd be F'ed if they used TJ's or LJ's in WWIII. Seems like once the 5 speeds hit the vehicles many to went to shit. Nothing like a NP435/205 combo for rock solid durability.
Or a SM420 and Rockwell

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
we'd be F'ed if they used TJ's or LJ's in WWIII. Seems like once the 5 speeds hit the vehicles
Why, because 0.5% of the NSG370 in 2005 and 2006 had issues, and those issues were corrected in 2007? More likely it would be that the grunts (nowadays pansy snowflakes) don't know how to drive, and they'd wreck them...

• Haha
Reactions: Claytone
mine does ok shifting between gears for the most part, but it's popped out of reverse in sketchy spots on the trail one too many times.

Here's my solution to the NSG370 problem.

PXL_20220415_212729914.jpg

The CJ2A didn't "benefit " from the Daimler "upgrades " , nsg370, 42 RLE, the Indian built steering box, and let's not forget the OPDA and PCM magic touch !
I thank God our Tj's are 2004 and older

I think the 6 speeds are just crunchy sometimes I don’t have any issues popping out of gear at 155k miles, but the first shift into second usually prefers to be double clutched. Once it warms up(quick) it shifts smooth. I’m not really gentle with mine.

This trans is weird, usually it flows into each gear and you can hardly feel the change, other times, at random, it feels like there’s sand suspended in the fluid, but still shifts pretty smooth.

I think the nice click of my cj2a trans is one of my favorite shift feels.

Of all of the manual transmissions I've had over the years, the CJ2a is my favorite, followed by the Pinzgauer ZF, which was smooth as silk.