Cry twice, Cooling system refresh

DuvelSteve

Jeep happy
Supporting Member
TL;DR- Spent twice to get where I need to be with my cooling system. Thanks to all the people that document and post their experiences. Becoming a Supporting Member was a no-brainer for me. IMG_0326.JPGIMG_0325.JPG

When I bought my 2004 LJ late last year one of the items I noticed immediately was the plastic radiator tank was cracked and weeping coolant. Good negotiation point since I planned to refresh most of the cooling system.
I ordered up the parts right away. Mostly, upper shelf after-market. Hey, a water-pump that pumps more and an all metal, 3 core radiator! Classic coolant top off. This thing is run cooler than ice cube! I did use the slow flush method, and rinsed out the system really well.
FlowKooler​
Waterpump
106.99​
CSF​
2578​
Radiator
193.99​
FOUR SEASONS​
85920​
Coolant Hose / Pipe
9.50​
GATES​
33009S​
Thermostat
4.93​
GATES​
CO34741​
Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet
9.34​
GATES​
22900​
Radiator Lower Hose
10.90​
GATES​
23183​
Radiator Upper Hose
9.56​
GATES​
19039​
Heater Hose / Pipe
15.14​
GATES​
19126​
Heater Hose / Pipe
19.05​
GATES​
90K38163 (90K-38163)​
Belt Drive Component Kit
57.79​
GATES​
K060882​
[Kit Component] Belt
0.00​
GATES​
38163​
[Kit Component] Belt Tensioner
0.00​
GATES​
38043​
[Kit Component] Idler Pulley
0.00​
MOPAR​
5010956AB (05010956AB)​
Water Pump Gasket
4.26​
STANT​
10334​
Radiator Cap
5.04​
Prestone​
35.97​
Shipping​
Ground, Priority Mail
39.96​
Tax​
35.16​
Order Total

All winter and spring it ran cool except one trip out in the desert. It was warm coming back home on the freeway, and a 30 mph headwind through the Whitewater area on I-10. Noticed the temperature gauge was a bit past the 210 mark. Plugged in my Bluetooth ODB2 dongle to read the actual temperature was at 225-230 degrees. I turned off the A/C and it got over the grade. The temp came down to a more manageable 208-215.
I bought a plug-in ODB2 gauge to monitor temp. I saw a lot over temps climbing higher as the weather continued to warm. Most of the higher temps came around when driving on freeway continued speeds above 50mph. The final straw, I was driving home on surface streets 92 degree ambient, and the aux. gauge cluster starts beeping at me a 230.
When I started to see the higher coolant temps, I started to read the many threads on cooling system refresh, Mopar parts, OAT coolant, etc. At first I was “Nah”, but as I continued to follow the success stories and watched my temps creep up.
I started to gather the parts.

Mopar​
5012366AFWaterpump
137.20​
Mopar​
5503 7653AB​
Radiator
315.10​
Mopar​
56027873​
Coolaant temp sensor
55.77​
Stant​
45359​
195 thermostat
8.84​
Felpro​
35630​
thermostat housing gasket
2.40​
Hayden​
2791​
Fan clutch
45.30​
Zerex​
OAT Coolant Pre-Mixed
51.00​
Shipping​
Amazon Prime
0.00​
Tax​
49.25​
Order Total

Cost Difference​
Waterpump
30.21​
Radiator
121.11​
195 thermostat
3.91​
thermostat housing gasket
2.40​
OAT Coolant Pre-Mixed
15.03​
Shipping​
0.00​
Tax​
13.81​
Order Total

Re-did the slow flush over a week. Then ripped through the swap after work one night. I did a few extras compared to last time: coolant temp sensor, and fan clutch.

Total cost of this adventure, $1179 (first time $514, second swing $664). I did a few extras the second time compared to first time: coolant temp sensor, and fan clutch. Plus re-used a bunch of the items hoses, radiator cap, belt and tension/idler pulleys. The difference to the forum suggested coolant refresh is really about $186.

So far it is running cool, 203-204 most of the time. Haven’t seen it above 208. The engineer in me wanted to replace one item at a time and test it on a loop. The mechanic in me said get it done in one. The mechanic is tougher and won.

A couple of things/observations-

I used the coolant tester (turkey baster) to empty the block. Jacking up the rear to tilt the engine forward helped. I also rinsed the heater core until clear, than blew out most of water. This all allowed me to reach the 50/50 coolant mix with pre-mix.

My overflow tank had some sludge in it. 20 years of dust or the PO using leak-stop, I don’t know but it has bothered me. I ended up using the coffee pot trick. Filled the tank with a bunch of ice and 1/3 cup of rock-salt. Then shook, swung and swished it for a handful of minutes until the sides and bottom were translucent. Filled with a bunch of hot water and drained to a clear-ish white bottle.

The non-Mopar setup seemed to keep the coolant temperature cooler at idle/off-idle/slow speed. But temperature would increase at higher rpms/continued load. The new Mopar system is opposite, the idle temps are higher, and freeway is lower. Overall the Mopar has been cooler overall so far. I will follow up if anything comes up.

Cheers
Steve

IMG_0326.JPG

Good info. My reservoir has sludge in it also. I'll give your method a go before ordering a new one. The Mopar reservoir is $70...

It's too bad you didn't just swap the fan clutch. When you throw everything at a problem you rarely learn anything.
I replaced the fan clutch three weeks before the wet stuff. Did not make a difference. Compressed it into the story, so it would not have been so long.

Cheers
Steve

Reactions: Irun
Very timely. I'm going to be digging into my new purchase, and the cooling system is always the first place I go. I've never actually put the spreadsheet numbers together, so seeing the price difference is useful information!

I replaced the fan clutch three weeks before the wet stuff. Did not make a difference. Compressed it into the story
Kinda the reason I posted. The fan clutch didn't do anything in your case but people reading this will think they need to do all that stuff. What was the problem if it wasn't the fan clutch? Did the water pump make a difference, how about the radiator, different thermostat?

Two things I have found over the years. First the radiator and cooling stack are critical in keeping the coolant temp under control. I have seen some real garbage being sold as aftermarket replacement. In a radiator subtle things like tube size, fin design and density play an important role in heat transfer. I had a car one time when I worked at the dealer that had constant overheating issues on the highway. Someone had replaced the A/C condenser with a cheap aftermarket. The fin density was so great that normal airflow couldn't reach the radiator. We replaced the condenser the temps were good and the car never came back.
Secondly the thermostat is critical in controlling the flow of coolant to the radiator. I would only use OE or Gates premium. I have had countless issues with the parts store cheapos.
As a side note when I removed the head from my 4.0 to change the gasket and lifters, I would say 1/3 of the ports running from the block to the head were completely plugged with rust and crud. I had done a good pressure flush on the engine when I bought it, but this stuff required breaking loose with a screwdriver. Problems like that require a teardown to remedy.

Reactions: DuvelSteve