Current used TJ prices making me consider selling mine

This is very true, especially when you put quality parts on. Most have no clue about the difference between a Rough Country lift and something like say Currie or Savvy!
Luckily, I'm not modding it to sell it (or I'd be in trouble). Still looking to regear/reaxle, outboard the shocks, and get the transmission rebuilt. I'm fully committed to making this how I want it for the long term.

If someone offered me $30k I'd probably be making the wrong choice by taking the money because the next vehicle wouldn't make me as happy unless it put me in debt (which would also make me unhappy).

If someone was to offer me $15k I'd sell mine right now. It's been sitting getting "worked on" for the last year. I haven't wheeled it other than to the office since May last year. Too much other stuff going on in my life at the moment.
If you don't owe any money on it, it's not costing you anything for it to sit!! Work on it when you can and enjoy it every chance you get!!!!

If someone was to offer me $15k I'd sell mine right now. It's been sitting getting "worked on" for the last year. I haven't wheeled it other than to the office since May last year. Too much other stuff going on in my life at the moment.
I 100% understand.

I only locally commute and can go offroading pretty easily. Alternatively, I wouldn't feel the same way about my TJ if I had multiple young kids and could hardly ever take it out, or if I needed the money to help my family. IMO, it's all about how TJ fits in our lives.

I was in Moab in May and a guy walked up to me in town as i finished parked and asked if I would take 28k$ cash right there for my LJ. I asked him if he was crazy and he said it’s really hard to find one around that is pretty stock and not modded to death with stupid shit. That money did kinda make me blush but I just can’t, I’ll never find another one

I always think about selling any Jeep I have. I'm looking for a 02' auto now. Having sold my Rubicon and seeing someone else drive it for 2 years, I think I will keep it. I also bought it back for $5,000 less than I sold it for. :)

Reactions: John Cooper
I recently turned down a $40k cash offer for my LJ... so... No.

Our LJ is ours... I made it what it is and it would cost me $40k to buy a new one and get it back the way I want it anyway. Not to mention the hassle/time required to even find a new one.

Now give me $65k or so and I'll go buy a stock LJ Non-Rubicon and start over with bigger axles etc. :)

The used car market is insane it's true, but you only profit off it if you sell and go buy something different or not at all. My P/U for example, bought it new in 2019 for 62k, current blue book is like $69k Trade-in or $73k private sale but replacing it would be so expensive it would likely cost me money in the long run.
I'd sell mine for 40k anytime.

I have ads up for the '06 LJR here and marketplace. The '00 will be up for sale probably within a week. The '98 project and parts inventory will likely soon follow. Motivation comes from wanting to thin the herd and pad the rainy day fund. I sold all my CJ7 stuff and other projects just before the housing crash, so I'm getting that old familiar feelin' again. . .

The last year of my favorite 32rh transmission and no head cracking issues like the 00-01' models.
I'm torn on this one.

I had a 32RH and it worked well for me, but I like having stock selectable lockers and the 241 transfer case.

Hopefully, I'll be happy enough with the 42RLE after the 5.38s are installed. I'm setting my expectations low.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I bought my TJ last September for 3K, frame needed patched and the body was really good. I put around another 2k in it for suspension, fuel pump and stuff like that. Sold it last weekend for $7k due to needing the money for school. I plan on buying another TJ when the market goes down and I have more cash in my pocket

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Man…some of the offers you guys get…..if someone offered me $17-20k I wouldn’t be able to sign the paperwork fast enough!
Ya but there is a big difference between an “offer” while filling up at a gas station compared to someone actually handing you a bank check or an envelope full of cash.

Ya but there is a big difference between an “offer” while filling up at a gas station compared to someone actually handing you a bank check or an envelope full of cash.
The 40k offer I got, the guy showed me the cash... still turned him down. Like I said it would take that much + lots of time just to get back the way I like it so why sell for that? Sure I could probably find a nice pre-built LJ for that, but it wouldn't be "my" Jeep...