Custom steering and a few notes that may help

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I know the rules, they are very simple, when executed properly, provide near bulletproof steering that doesn't wear itself out no matter how much you use it offroad on big tires.
The rules are that the steering gear travels to the internal stops fully. When that happens, the next thing is the knuckle steering stops hit and stop the knuckle rotation at exactly the same time. After that is dialed in, then the assist cylinder is stroked to exactly match the rotation of the knuckles at the stops. Seems relatively simple but here is what happens that we have fought with on every big build until now.

The issue is always the same, you wind up with more travel one way than the other. So, you clock the pitman over one tooth and that just reverses the problem so now you have more travel and less travel with it just switching which knuckle hits first.

I have extensively played with making the pitman longer and shorter. That doesn't change the bias in the least, it just makes the problem more or less by how far one side stops and the other is short. Then we've played with the distance from the balljoint or kingpin axis where the draglink attaches. Again, just makes the issue more or less but does not change the bias.

After dicking with it some, I finally had an epiphany and came up with full understanding of what is going on and how to fix it. For clarity, I've managed to brute force them into submission through various things like bending the pitman over to one side or reaming the hole off center. I've even built mock up pitman arms that shift the draglink hole way off to one side, still a problem.

The answer is stupid simple. Just make the draglink longer or shorter. Sounds odd but if you cut the arm loose from the round splined slug and move it over to the side with less travel, that offsets the bias toward where you need it to be. In other words, if you need more travel turning right because the left side stop isn't touching yet and the right side is bottoming out preventing rotation, move the steering arm to the left side by making the draglink longer. Tack the arm to the slug and test again. It makes immediate results and you can see the change in bias very easily. I'm not going to tell you how to exactly build a pitman after since it requires some welding that your life depends on but the ONLY way to get it right in a fast and easy manner requires that you alter the length of the draglink to move the end of the pitman arm over on the splined slug without moving the steering wheel. Of course, this is all predicated upon the axle being centered at ride height and the steering wheel and steering gear being dead center.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this...

200.gif

View attachment 418622

He's letting the overall steering system dictate how the splined end of the pitman arm is oriented relative to the remainder of the arm.
Screenshot_20230422_104834_Chrome~2.jpg

In other custom steering discussions, we would see mention of grinding out the thick locating splines on the arm. This would be done to allow some adjustment of the pitman arm on the sector shaft. But the adjustment was limited to the clocking allowed by the splines. By separating the splined ring from the arm, this adjustment is infinite. And the movements of steering gear and knuckles can be in perfect synch with each other.

Last edited:
He's letting the overall steering system dictate how the splined end of the pitman arm is oriented relative to the remainder of the arm.
View attachment 418626

In other custom steering discussions, we would see mention of grinding out the thick locating splines on the arm. This would be done to allow some adjustment of the pitman arm on the sector shaft. But the adjustment was limited to the clocking allowed by the splines. By separating the splined ring from the arm, this adjustment is infinite. And the movements of steering gear and knuckles can be in perfect synch with each other.
He also mentioned welding that your life depends on. This mod is definitely not for you....🤷

View attachment 418622

It is difficult to start seeing the problems until you have set up a few. If you adhere to the basic rules for good steering, it is pure luck that it will land correctly to get even bias left to right.

A method we have used in the past is to cut and slug the stock TJ pitman and then hand cut a new pitman out of 3/4" plate.
1682183652520.png

Time consuming and tedious. But it allowed infinite rotational alignment.

1682183761878.png

Now, we just drop a 2 5/8" hole saw over the round section and cut it loose from the arm. The circular cut gives us lots of weld surface area.

The thing to remember is the steering gear has internal stops. That is the first step, lock to lock and get the steering gear to the stops both ways without the stops on the knuckle stopping it prematurely.

So as tentative first steps you want arms long enough for the tie rod to clear the diff?

Then match the pitman and steering arm tie rod travel to stops through length so the different angles throw the same?

Then rinse and repeat as clearances and packaging drive you to drink?

So as tentative first steps you want arms long enough for the tie rod to clear the diff?
Do I?
DSC01338.JPG

Then match the pitman and steering arm tie rod travel to stops through length so the different angles throw the same?
Yes, sorta, maybe, all depends. The first thing you do is get the knuckles swinging stop to stop in the steering gear and then disconnect various bits to see if the knuckle steering stops are in fact NOT the limit.
Then rinse and repeat as clearances and packaging drive you to drink?
A lot easier than that really.

One thing I do that most won't catch is I use the tag that PSC puts on the steering gear and trap that between the end of the stop and the knuckle after I get the throw the same. I grind them back until I can just pull out the tag with steering knuckle turned hard against the stop. That way I know I'm not bottomed out on the stop and the 15 thou gap isn't enough to overstress components when the tire forces the knuckle against the stop.

Do I?
View attachment 418675

Yes, sorta, maybe, all depends. The first thing you do is get the knuckles swinging stop to stop in the steering gear and then disconnect various bits to see if the knuckle steering stops are in fact NOT the limit.

A lot easier than that really.

One thing I do that most won't catch is I use the tag that PSC puts on the steering gear and trap that between the end of the stop and the knuckle after I get the throw the same. I grind them back until I can just pull out the tag with steering knuckle turned hard against the stop. That way I know I'm not bottomed out on the stop and the 15 thou gap isn't enough to overstress components when the tire forces the knuckle against the stop.

That's some precise clearancing on the cover! That extra welded tube on the cover .. what's that for, Blaine?

Between what you and @jjvw wrote I think I understand what you are trying to explain here about the steering .. need to give it some more thought. Thank you for taking the time to write this out and educate us.

That's some precise clearancing on the cover! That extra welded tube on the cover .. what's that for, Blaine?

Between what you and @jjvw wrote I think I understand what you are trying to explain here about the steering .. need to give it some more thought. Thank you for taking the time to write this out and educate us.

DSC01337.JPG

The travel of the piston in the steering gear that turns the pitman arm is controlled by stops at each end of the piston, those are the internal stops. If the knuckle can turn further because the steering stops aren't hitting, that stresses components. If the piston in the steering gear doesn't hit the stops at full lock both directions but the steering stops on the knuckles are, then the steering gear is stresssing components by trying to turn further than it is able to because the knuckles are stopping it and that tries to twist the steering gear off of the frame.

If the steering stops hit at the same time that the steering gear bottoms out, nothing is stressing anything else. If you also get the assist cylinder to stop at the same time, all the better. If you don't, then when it gets to full lock, the cylinder is trying to turn further and that stresses the pivot points or ball joints/kingpin bearings if the stroke is too long. If the stroke is too short, then the cylinder is stopping the knuckles from turning and that stresses the steering gear because it can turn further than the cylinder will let it.

Ideal is that everything stops at the same time. If you get the rig nose down on a big obstacle with the side of the tire against a rock at full lock one way, if all the parts hit at the same time, then nothing is being overstressed or getting any extra wear. All the parts work together to endure the steering forces the rig encounters.

It is difficult to start seeing the problems until you have set up a few. If you adhere to the basic rules for good steering, it is pure luck that it will land correctly to get even bias left to right.

A method we have used in the past is to cut and slug the stock TJ pitman and then hand cut a new pitman out of 3/4" plate.
View attachment 418629

Time consuming and tedious. But it allowed infinite rotational alignment.

View attachment 418630

Now, we just drop a 2 5/8" hole saw over the round section and cut it loose from the arm. The circular cut gives us lots of weld surface area.

The thing to remember is the steering gear has internal stops. That is the first step, lock to lock and get the steering gear to the stops both ways without the stops on the knuckle stopping it prematurely.

A key point I failed to mention is why we don't do this any longer. I haven't found a conical pitman puller that fits over the much larger OD of the round splined area now.

Reactions: psrivats
Ideal is that everything stops at the same time. If you get the rig nose down on a big obstacle with the side of the tire against a rock at full lock one way, if all the parts hit at the same time, then nothing is being overstressed or getting any extra wear. All the parts work together to endure the steering forces the rig encounters.

It just dawned on me that this is the same principle as what you do with shocks and suspension.