Cycling rear suspension without track bar connected?

chimmike

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
About to cycle the rear suspension (just control arms) for droop and compressed lengths. Should I have the track bar bolted up or no?

If this is a short arm, Remove the passenger side upper control arm bolt at the axle end if you want it to actually droop without binding up at a 23" shock length.....

that essentially won't stop it from binding on the trail though, no?
On the trail there are forces going on which can squish bushings that you can't reproduce on jack stands with your springs out without getting yourself hurt.
You can eliminate binding and rear steer with geometry correction in a 12" travel range from a 2" bumpstop extension.

About to cycle the rear suspension (just control arms) for droop and compressed lengths. Should I have the track bar bolted up or no?
Track bar attached and springs out. The axle has more than enough weight to make everything flex even with stock arms everytime I've done it. Disconnect the sway bar too.

Track bar attached and springs out. The axle has more than enough weight to make everything flex even with stock arms everytime I've done it. Disconnect the sway bar too.
Worked fine for me with 9" travel shocks on stock arms. I noticed the bind on outboarded 12" shocks with Metalcloak bushings. But standing on the dropped side brought us to full flex. And having a guy on each side took us down to full droop.

I should've mentioned. Rockjock full rear control arms done. either way, i'll bolt the track bar up and then cycle it.

Reactions: pagrey
Worked fine for me with 9" travel shocks on stock arms. I noticed the bind on outboarded 12" shocks with Metalcloak bushings. But standing on the dropped side brought us to full flex. And having a guy on each side took us down to full droop.
12" travel matched to a 3" bumpstop is the same droop as a 25" shock in stock mounts. It matches a 17.5" spring freelength. The outboard 18/30" shock gains nearly 2" of uptravel due to the collapsed length of the 9" travel shock in stock mounts.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I should've mentioned. Rockjock full rear control arms done. either way, i'll bolt the track bar up and then cycle it.
Currie arms don't matter. It will still bind unless you pull an upper control arm bolt. If you cycle the suspension with a track bar bolt out you will not be able to articulate the suspension at all. It will only go straight up and straight down.