Cyclops T.A.M. anti-theft kill switch

Matt1964

I bought a Theft Avoidance Module last week and wanted to post a short review.

https://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/CYCLOPS-TAM-Theft-Avoidance-Module-TAM.htm
My Jeep is an 2005, 4.0 liter, automatic transmission.

The T.A.M. arrived quickly and the installation instructions are on the website. I simply opened the hood, opened the underhood fuse box, removed the starter fuse, and replaced it with the T.A.M. That's it. Installation took about 45 seconds.

After a week of use I am very happy with this $150.00 purchase. It comes with two small remotes and you place one on your primary set of keys and the other on your spare set of keys. Batteries were included. You simply push the button on the remote to disarm the T.A.M. and allow the vehicle to start. Thirty seconds after you turn the engine off, the T.A.M. activates and the vehicle will not restart until you push the button again.

Features:
High security as no wires to follow to bypass.
"Rolling Codes" (Random Encryption) for highest security.
Cannot be scanned, code grabbed or duplicated.
Manufacture in an ISO 9002 facility
Fully guaranteed

Vehicle theft is not a problem in my area but I don't want anyone else getting their hands on my sixteen year old girlfriend.

I bought a Theft Avoidance Module last week and wanted to post a short review.

https://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/CYCLOPS-TAM-Theft-Avoidance-Module-TAM.htm
My Jeep is an 2005, 4.0 liter, automatic transmission.

The T.A.M. arrived quickly and the installation instructions are on the website. I simply opened the hood, opened the underhood fuse box, removed the starter fuse, and replaced it with the T.A.M. That's it. Installation took about 45 seconds.

After a week of use I am very happy with this $150.00 purchase. It comes with two small remotes and you place one on your primary set of keys and the other on your spare set of keys. Batteries were included. You simply push the button on the remote to disarm the T.A.M. and allow the vehicle to start. Thirty seconds after you turn the engine off, the T.A.M. activates and the vehicle will not restart until you push the button again.

Features:
High security as no wires to follow to bypass.
"Rolling Codes" (Random Encryption) for highest security.
Cannot be scanned, code grabbed or duplicated.
Manufacture in an ISO 9002 facility
Fully guaranteed

Vehicle theft is not a problem in my area but I don't want anyone else getting their hands on my sixteen year old girlfriend.
Sounds okay but for that kinda loot, I think I'd want it to interrupt the fuel pump as well. My understanding is that once the ignition cylinder is defeated, the starter solenoid can be jumped. Or, in the case of a standard transmission, it could be bump-started.
Still better security than what I currently have though!

Sounds okay but for that kinda loot, I think I'd want it to interrupt the fuel pump as well. My understanding is that once the ignition cylinder is defeated, the starter solenoid can be jumped. Or, in the case of a standard transmission, it could be bump-started.
Still better security than what I currently have though!
I looked at this one and my understanding is that it can be used in one of several places, including in place of the fuel pump relay. However, the defeat is to simply pull the relay and replace it. If I were going to add something else, it would be a Tuffy Hood Lock. At least that way a thief has more difficulty getting under the hood.

The best anti-theft option, for anything other than thieves rolling up in a tow truck, is the factory SKIM. It can't be bypassed. That said, adding it is relatively expensive, compared to this, and most dealers have no clue how to do it. :(

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/jeep-hood-lock-jeep-1997-2006-wrangler-tj/

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Master lock use to have a similar thing. However, the TAM and master lock replace the starter relay not the starter fuse.

All told, it adds another layer of protection. The more that you can slow down the thieves, the better.

Yes, it is the starter relay, not starter fuse.

Thank you, Irun, for the link to the Tuffy hood lock. I ordered one today. I don't want my battery stolen while I'm at a trailhead.

Reactions: Irun