Cylinder 3 Misfire

Rdeitz

I have the code for a Cylinder 3 misfire. Plug good. Wire good. Replaced the coil pack, still there. Replaced the injector, still there. Jeep is a 2001 Wrangler, 4.0 with 20,000 miles on it. I have heard it is probably the valve springs. Anyone here have that issue and that's what the problem was?

OK I replaced the valve springs on number 3, drove it for while to heat it up (freeway). So I replaced the injector, coils, valve springs on number 3. Still shows misfire. The engine runs fine, no loss of power, no back firing, seems normal. This just a secret code they inserted to have you bring it into the dealer and they clear the light for $300? New plugs, wires, engine has 20,000 miles on it.....

Replaced the injector on number 3, cleaned the others while doing that. Manifold and other parts still look new, the Jeep stays in a garage and has 20,000 miles on it. No loose bolts.

Probably the notorious #3 cylinder fuel injector heat soak issue that Jeep issued a TSB for. It's fixed by nothing more than wrapping a piece of insulation around the #3 injector and holding it in place with a small zip tie. Without the added insulation the fuel inside the #3 injector vaporizes when the area around it gets hot.

This is the insulation Mopar specifies for that fix.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3QHDK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The mopar kit is a bit overpriced. I just did mine and used this thermo-tec stuff. It works really well and you can do the whole fuel rail.

s-l500.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This cost less, that's all I was getting at. Either work and I saw the ship had sailed, really just posted so other people see there are other options.

rail.jpg

Try using sea foam. You may just have carbon buildup on the valves. Or maybe a bad injector. I’ve had both issues. I doubt it’s mechanical.

Try using sea foam. You may just have carbon buildup on the valves. Or maybe a bad injector. I’ve had both issues. I doubt it’s mechanical.
The #3 cylinder misfire is a well known problem caused by fuel vaporization inside the #3 injector in warm-hot conditions. That's why Jeep issued the TSB specifically and only for the injector for the #3 cylinder where his misfire is located.

Sometimes a cracked 0331 cylinder head can present with a #3 misfire. You aren't losing coolant, right?