Daily Driver Brake Recommendations

Sed_7

Hi everyone! I'd like to upgrade my brakes on my 00 TJ (~96000 miles). I use it as a daily driver and I'm on the highway a lot. I'd like to decrease stopping distance and just feel a bit safer. It's lifted 2 1/2", and has stock 31 tires. I believe the calipers, rotors are stock as well/haven't been refreshed.

I was looking into Black Magic Pads/ front brake setups, but is that overkill with my stock wheels? I also fear the idea of having to break them in.

Should I replace the calipers and rotors as well? They seem to be in fine working condition, but what do I know! Maybe I keep the existing set up and get BMB pads?

What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance!

PS I'm getting the shocks refreshed next weekend, teraflex 9550s, so hopefully that helps with the braking as well.

Black magic pads will not be overkill and they will provide good braking for your 31" tires. They are not difficult to break in (or keep them broken in). I would get new rotors and pads and see how it goes. If nothing is wrong with existing calipers, you can continue using them.

Black magic pads will not be overkill and they will provide good braking for your 31" tires. They are not difficult to break in (or keep them broken in). I would get new rotors and pads and see how it goes. If nothing is wrong with existing calipers, you can continue using them.
110% happy with my Black Magic pads. I'm relatively stock - running 32s on Rubicon replicas and they perform extremely well. Break in took a little bit of time but was not difficult.

Reactions: GPK03X
I'd start by bleeding the brakes and inspecting everything if you plan on doing the work yourself. Take the calipers off and inspect, make sure the slides are greased and the pad carriers are okay. Take a really good look at everything to get an idea of what needs to be refreshed. If your pads are in good condition now replacing things like the stock flex lines might be money better spent on a 22 year old rig.

Thanks for the feedback!
I won't be doing the work myself, that's out of my wheelhouse for now.
Ok great, I'll go with Black Magic Pads. I'll debate internally if I should go for the new rotors as well. I know I should, but you know $$$. Probably money well spent though....

Thanks for the feedback!
I won't be doing the work myself, that's out of my wheelhouse for now.
Ok great, I'll go with Black Magic Pads. I'll debate internally if I should go for the new rotors as well. I know I should, but you know $$$. Probably money well spent though....
I suggest at least trying to do it yourself. It's really not hard at all to refurbish a caliper and you will have a better understanding of how the system works if an issue ever arises in the future. I will second BMB pads.

I suggest at least trying to do it yourself. It's really not hard at all to refurbish a caliper and you will have a better understanding of how the system works if an issue ever arises in the future. I will second BMB pads.
That makes sense. I'd love to, but I'm in an apartment building parking garage with no real space where I'd be allowed to take things apart.

Reactions: Claybirdd
Thanks all, I placed an order for new pads and rotors, can't wait! Dang, I should have checked if anyone had a discount code...
Good choice.
BMB decal (2).jpg

What exactly did you order?
Found out what happened: Ordered the correct pads and rotors, brought the unopened shipping box to Pep Boys, they installed the rotors (and pads), then found out the car wouldn't move. Turns out the incorrect rotors were shipped out.

Lesson learned: open the box and be sure you received the right parts before installing.

Spoke to Mr.Blaine and he'll be refunding me the cost of the rotors. (I won't have to send back the incorrect rotors : anyone want a pair of Centric 67022 s?)

No new calipers this round, maybe after the next 50000 miles.

Reactions: Woodrow and rasband
Found out what happened: Ordered the correct pads and rotors, brought the unopened shipping box to Pep Boys, they installed the rotors (and pads), then found out the car wouldn't move. Turns out the incorrect rotors were shipped out.

Lesson learned: open the box and be sure you received the right parts before installing.

Spoke to Mr.Blaine and he'll be refunding me the cost of the rotors. (I won't have to send back the incorrect rotors : anyone want a pair of Centric 67022 s?)

No new calipers this round, maybe after the next 50000 miles.
He's a good guy, glad it worked out!

Good lord
I just priced these out, what makes these so special?? Has anyone shown actual performance testing to confirm the HUGE pricing differences make them worthwhile??

[URL][URL]https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep-TJ-2000-2006_c44.htm[/URL][/URL]

Black Magic Brake Pads have been around for over 10 years so there is plenty of feedback out there. If you're not aware, Black Magic Brakes is @mrblaine. Everything that you find on the website is there because he knows that it works well. He'll also stand behind what he sells. I've never spoken with Blaine but from what others have said he is available and very helpful if you need support for his products.

I have BMB pads up front and, yes, they are worth the cost. I think the only complaint you'll find is that there is an increase in brake dust, but that's not really an issue. If you do go with BMB pads, it's important to follow the break-in process. From then on, you want to actually use the brakes and not ride them long before your target stopping point.

The way I would describe BMB pads is that they make the brakes function as you would want them to. They're not grabby in any condition and if you want to stop, the deceleration and stopping power matches the effort applied to the brake pedal. If you want to stop more quickly, press harder. If you need to stop NOW, press the pedal as fast and firm as you can - you'll stop faster than you though possible in a TJ. If you've ever done several back to back 50 MPH to 5 MPH stops to bed brakes, you'll be familiar with brake fade. With BMB pads, the last stop feels the same as the first. There is no brake fade.

I saw from other post that your TJ has 250,000 miles. If you're refreshing your brake system, the zinc plated front calipers are also vey nice.

Good lord
I just priced these out, what makes these so special?? Has anyone shown actual performance testing to confirm the HUGE pricing differences make them worthwhile??

[URL]https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep-TJ-2000-2006_c44.htm[/URL]

Do you know the difference between someone who listens to loud music and an audiophile? The audiophile can hear the difference in sound quality and is willing to pay for the things that make a difference.

Same with brakes. If you don't have a problem stopping, then you don't need to spend the money to stop safely. If you can't stop safely, I can fix that but it isn't cheap or easy.

Which it says to do right on the invoice. Open that shit up and inspect it, helps all of us.
Sorry about that. That's what happens when you let me pack stuff and I've got 50 other things chewing on my ass at the same time. That and nothing is less desirable to me than packaging. Mind numbing work that requires 100% of my concentration to just get it mostly right and clearly I can fuck that up without even trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 707kevin
After seeing the much higher prices, I must ask…..

Where can I find all this unbiased documented analysis of Black Magic Brakes and proving grounds vs other sold OTC premium options??

I come from the classic car protouring hot rodding community with 2 heavily modded cars, and drag racing…… so Im curious as Wranglers arent a “go fast” kinda hobby

The odd thing about “feedback” is its from seat of the pants feeling going from fading brakes to new brakes regardless of brand and not really scientific in the approach. Hence why I ask. Just askin for proving grounds that prove a products value

I was gonna ask if theres a rear drum swap to disc thread somewhere as IMO thats a low end aspect to modify. I had to swap rear ends in my Olds 442 to achieve it tho

Last edited: