Daily Driver Dilemma

1692982159404.png

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Decently considering a 2019-2021 Grand Cherokee.

I am not a huge fan of the modern Fiat stuff but for the money it's hard to argue and the platform is pretty well proven. My only real concern is electrical issues.

I don't need a vehicle this big but I won't buy a 180hp suv and I feel like the smaller suv's are throw away after 6 years.

Sounds like your budget got substantially bigger then $10K

Avoid ANYTHING with an aftermarket remote start or alarm

Yeah. I mean I can go buy a new one I just didn’t want to…. Can get into a certified use for sub $30k easy.

Yes, won’t consider anything like that.

Our new 05 Forester was fully maintained and cared for and jumped thru it's ass at 58,000 miles. The 04 TJ that replaced it in 2011 had 63,000 miles and has been flawless for 12 years and an additional 82,000 miles , ( 4.0 , 5 spd. , D-44 3.73 ) . No More Subaru kool-aid for us !

I consider them to be like the big three in the 80s for reliability. Fun if you don't mind wrenching on them

Decently considering a 2019-2021 Grand Cherokee.

I am not a huge fan of the modern Fiat stuff but for the money it's hard to argue and the platform is pretty well proven. My only real concern is electrical issues.

I don't need a vehicle this big but I won't buy a 180hp suv and I feel like the smaller suv's are throw away after 6 years.

My father had a 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L that he put 200k on without much issue, and now has a 2020 GC Trailhawk 5.7L with about 50k miles on it. They have been pretty solid, I do all the maintenance. For the money I don't think they are a bad choice, and probably one of the only newer Jeeps I would consider. The smaller SUVs from Jeep are not good at all.

My father had a 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L that he put 200k on without much issue, and now has a 2020 GC Trailhawk 5.7L with about 50k miles on it. They have been pretty solid, I do all the maintenance. For the money I don't think they are a bad choice, and probably one of the only newer Jeeps I would consider. The smaller SUVs from Jeep are not good at all.

Thank you, good to hear some first hand experience. The reality is that for the same year and mileage, I can buy a 4wd Grand Cherokee or a 150hp fwd Honda Civic for almost the same money. Now the Civic will almost guaranteed outlast the Jeep, but I also want awd/4wd as I have not went to work due to fwd before.....

Thank you, good to hear some first hand experience. The reality is that for the same year and mileage, I can buy a 4wd Grand Cherokee or a 150hp fwd Honda Civic for almost the same money.

what year and mileage is that??

I think the Civics start in the $23.5K range
$37K is the lowest Ive seen for a GC 4wd

Thats a ~50% price change
Fwiw I drove my wifes 9th gen Accord FWD one year for work all over Chicago and Rockford thru our crazy winters and I had no issues. She drove it the other 7 years from new. I had a 12th F150 4x4 on reserve at home but never needed it

That car made it from 0 to 102,000 miles without anything failing except a single $40 bumper sensor for the airbag collision deployment, then we traded it in. Hell even the front brakes made it to 89,000 miles, that blew my mind. Honda makes a damn good vehicle

Last edited:
Reactions: Shank
what year and mileage is that??

I think the Civics start in the $23.5K range
$37K is the lowest Ive seen for a GC 4wd

Thats a ~50% price change
Fwiw I drove my wifes 9th gen Accord FWD one year for work all over Chicago and Rockford thru our crazy winters and I had no issues. She drove it the other 7 years from new. I had a 12th F150 4x4 on reserve at home but never needed it

That car made it from 0 to 102,000 miles without anything failing except a single $40 bumper sensor for the airbag collision deployment, then we traded it in. Hell even the front brakes made it to 89,000 miles, that blew my mind. Honda makes a damn good vehicle

It’s about a 10% price difference 2020 with 30k miles.

I know all about driving fwd cars in snow. I’ve done it the last 8 years with no issues other than when we got 10+” overnight and crews couldn’t keep up. Where it won’t work is my brother’s and buddy’s driveway. Can’t be done when it snows bad and/or ices.

Good or bad it's looking like I am headed to NY this week to look at a '07 4runner that allegedly (and looks like it from photos) never seen snow or salt.

Reactions: RINC
IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

Well 7 hours from home I saw an underside that wasn’t as perfectly rust free as I had hoped. It is however more solid than 99% within 12 hours I would put money on.

A lot of oil spraying and I think I’ll get years out of this.