Dalton Highway, the way too early planning thread

Vidar

TJ Enthusiast
Since my daughter loves the cold and dreams of being an arctic vet one day, I've decided that I would like to take her to the arctic so that she can actually experience Alaska before deciding on a college, and since I'm there, drive the Dalton Highway. Currently, my daughter is 10, so dreams can always change, but my desire to take her to Alaska probably won't. I am projecting summer of 2027 to make this trip, so as the title says, this is some way, way too early planning. But hey, once in a lifetime trips can't be planned overnight, right? I live in central PA, so the trip is 4133 miles to Fairbanks, AK, so this will end up being something like 10,000+ miles all said and done.

Some feedback I'd like to get out of this thread (but feel free to provide any feedback or comment you feel is pertinent!):
1. I'm thinking 8-9 weeks for the trip. 2-3 weeks up and back, and the rest exploring Alaska and/or Yukon. Doable?
2. I currently have a 97 TJ with 214,000 that is my daily driver (rebuilt the engine at 209K). I drive less than 5000 a year, so I'll be around 250,000 or so in 6 years. Would you trust a 30 year old TJ with that mileage to make 10,000+ mile trip over two months?
3. I want to camp the whole trip. Thoughts on a RTT versus trailer camping? Not sure I want to drag a trailer/camper 10K miles, plus making the trip up the Dalton highway with it.
4. This might be an @jscherb (who's own trip to the Dalton Highway inspired my desire to go there) specific question, but could a clamshell or pop-up style tent be fabricated for a safari cab that would fit on a TJ? I'm 5'9" so I would need an additional 6 or so inches on a pop-up style, or probably close to 12" for a clamshell over the factory roof length.

Other things I'm considering is potentially buying a Gladiator or JL for the trip. Then my options for overloading expand exponentially. I'd love to buy a decked out Rubicon JT and build a custom slide-in camper for it, but I'm not sure if $60K is going to be in my budget anytime soon.

Sounds like an epic road trip and a long drive in a TJ! You could also rent a jeep up here with a pop-top camper, but that removes a bunch of the way-up road-trip and has costs of its own. Lots to see in the 49th state, it’s beautiful up here.

https://alaskarentacar.net/vehicles/campers/
Thanks for the input. While that would negate the up and back trip, it would also rule out the Dalton Highway, as their rental policy expressly forbids travel on unpaved roads (calling out Dalton specifically).

My parents are doing an Alaskan cruise next year, so I'll get a bit of first hand experience from them about what it's like up there.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Ah, didn’t read the fine print, I see those Jeeps running around the peninsula in the summer. You’ll want to be able to drive on gravel, the denali Highway from Paxton to Cantwell is also gravel with great views

Ah, didn’t read the fine print, I see those Jeeps running around the peninsula in the summer. You’ll want to be able to drive on gravel, the denali Highway from Paxton to Cantwell is also gravel with great views
Agree on the Denali highway views, I've done it with a rental car. I've also taken a rental to Wrangell St Elias (kennecott Mine/McCarthy) several times, which is a no no.

If I was gonna do the trip OP is talking about, I'd do it in a nice full size truck with a truck camper instead of either the JT or TJ. Make sure you have a tire repair kit and a spare or two.

Here's a recent youtuber that did the trip to Deadhorse in a TRX.

4. This might be an @jscherb (who's own trip to the Dalton Highway inspired my desire to go there) specific question, but could a clamshell or pop-up style tent be fabricated for a safari cab that would fit on a TJ? I'm 5'9" so I would need an additional 6 or so inches on a pop-up style, or probably close to 12" for a clamshell over the factory roof length.
Having done the Dalton and the Alaska Highway in my LJ, I can probably answer many of the questions you might have about the trip.

DaltonEnd_zps4a7f66aa.jpg

A roof top tent is pretty easy to install on a Safari Cab. That's what I use with my LJ, although on the Dalton trip we used other accommodations - a hotel in Fairbanks, the Coldfoot Camp half way up and the Prudhoe Bay hotel in Deadhorse.

This shows the RTT on my LJ; the TJ roof is 15" shorter but you can see there's lots of extra roof space on the LJ even with the RTT so an RTT on a TJ is no problem.

RTTStowed.jpg

But from the way you asked your question it sounds like you want to fabricate something. When I designed the Safari Cab, I had in mind that either the roof could be made to pop up, kind of like an Ursa Minor on a JKU, or since the roof is a separate component on the Safari Cab the stock roof could be removed and a camper top could be installed. These concept drawings are done on an LJ, but the same idea could be implemented for the TJ. These overhang the windshield for extra sleeping room; on a TJ you'd probably overhang it a bit more...

TamiyaLJConcept2_zpszcwhiafw.jpg

TamiyaLJConcept1_zpskcgnomvn.jpg

Back when I was doing this design work I made a quick and rough model of an LJ Safari camper top for my 1:18 scale LJ Safari Cab model...

TamiyaModelLJ2_zpsr5dtkw6u.jpg

I was thinking a pop-up design like the one I sewed for my Jeep-tub trailer would work well on the Safari Cab, it's not a very difficult sewing job...

TiltUp1_zpssjsplikt.jpg

RearDoor_zps3vha1ish.jpg

A photo-edit/concept drawing I did for my LJ:

TrailTopPopup_zpsiupr6ahk.jpg

Pretty much anything you can imagine is possible with the Safari Cab. If you have more of an idea of what you're looking to accomplish I can offer advice to get you there.

Fly to Whitehorse, rent a truck camper from Fraserway and drive it all over the Yukon and Alaska. We did that twice before we bought our own truck camper and then did it a third time. I think we’re going to do it again next year.

Oh, and do it now or in the next year or so. In 6 years your daughter is going to have, let us say, other interests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber1
Enjoy the trip… My dad and I drove up in 2002 not to the dalton but Alaska. It was just under 10k miles door to door. Try and use the ferry one way it will give you some great scenery. There is also a cool hotsprings in Canada we hit on the way back. I’ll check on the name and get back to you.

Enjoy the trip… My dad and I drove up in 2002 not to the dalton but Alaska. It was just under 10k miles door to door. Try and use the ferry one way it will give you some great scenery. There is also a cool hotsprings in Canada we hit on the way back. I’ll check on the name and get back to you.
Would that be Liard Springs in British Columbia? https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/liard_rv_hs/

Liard2.jpg

Definitely a lot warmer than a swim in the Arctic Ocean :) :

Polarbear1_zpsfbb05416.jpg

Having done the Dalton and the Alaska Highway in my LJ, I can probably answer many of the questions you might have about the trip.

View attachment 280724

A roof top tent is pretty easy to install on a Safari Cab. That's what I use with my LJ, although on the Dalton trip we used other accommodations - a hotel in Fairbanks, the Coldfoot Camp half way up and the Prudhoe Bay hotel in Deadhorse.

This shows the RTT on my LJ; the TJ roof is 15" shorter but you can see there's lots of extra roof space on the LJ even with the RTT so an RTT on a TJ is no problem.

View attachment 280725

But from the way you asked your question it sounds like you want to fabricate something. When I designed the Safari Cab, I had in mind that either the roof could be made to pop up, kind of like an Ursa Minor on a JKU, or since the roof is a separate component on the Safari Cab the stock roof could be removed and a camper top could be installed. These concept drawings are done on an LJ, but the same idea could be implemented for the TJ. These overhang the windshield for extra sleeping room; on a TJ you'd probably overhang it a bit more...

View attachment 280726

View attachment 280727

Back when I was doing this design work I made a quick and rough model of an LJ Safari camper top for my 1:18 scale LJ Safari Cab model...

View attachment 280728

I was thinking a pop-up design like the one I sewed for my Jeep-tub trailer would work well on the Safari Cab, it's not a very difficult sewing job...

View attachment 280729

View attachment 280730

View attachment 280731

Pretty much anything you can imagine is possible with the Safari Cab. If you have more of an idea of what you're looking to accomplish I can offer advice to get you there.
Great info from a pro there!sleeping accommodations settled,you say th motor is rebuilt:how’s th rest of th 230000mile chassis doin?rebuild your suspension/drivetrain at tht many miles.if your frame/swingarms etc body tub lacks rust death,at least change every bearing bushing ujoint tierod end etc before tackling this trip.if th Jeep can make th drive,you can sleep ina seat! But kudos on th safari cab designer!

Agree on the Denali highway views, I've done it with a rental car. I've also taken a rental to Wrangell St Elias (kennecott Mine/McCarthy) several times, which is a no no.

If I was gonna do the trip OP is talking about, I'd do it in a nice full size truck with a truck camper instead of either the JT or TJ. Make sure you have a tire repair kit and a spare or two.

Here's a recent youtuber that did the trip to Deadhorse in a TRX.

The truck and slide-in camper are definitely a consideration. Downside is that I don’t really have a need for a full-size truck in my everyday life, so it may be overkill. That’s why I’m considering a Gladiator. Always wanted a Wrangler truck, which is why I’m drawn to it. I could fabricate a camper shell that would fit under the limited capacity of the JT, thus making it a truck camper.

Reactions: Apparition
Seriously, more than $7k for little more than a rooftop tent?
I agree. I looked at those too, and then saw the price! They look nice, and that’s one of the ideas I have, but I’d rather build it myself than drop that kind of coin for a tent in a hardshell.

Fly to Whitehorse, rent a truck camper from Fraserway and drive it all over the Yukon and Alaska. We did that twice before we bought our own truck camper and then did it a third time. I think we’re going to do it again next year.

Oh, and do it now or in the next year or so. In 6 years your daughter is going to have, let us say, other interests.
Not super keen on the renting aspect, plus part of it will be the journey to get there and back.

I’ve definitely considered not waiting, however, I’ll need to save for this trip for years. My wife will probably not be going with (she hates the cold, and probably won’t be able to handle that much time in a car), so the other thought is letting her drive some of it, helping me out some. Plus, getting her away from whatever boy she’s all over at the time might be good for my own sanity.

Great info from a pro there!sleeping accommodations settled,you say th motor is rebuilt:how’s th rest of th 230000mile chassis doin?rebuild your suspension/drivetrain at tht many miles.if your frame/swingarms etc body tub lacks rust death,at least change every bearing bushing ujoint tierod end etc before tackling this trip.if th Jeep can make th drive,you can sleep ina seat! But kudos on th safari cab designer!
I just replaced the entire suspension with a takeoff from an 03 Rubicon that had 2000 miles on it when it was removed, then boxed for 17 years, so that should be fine. Tub is in good shape, minimal rust, and I fixed whatever was there. I’ve fixed several spots on the frame, but I think I have it pretty well under control at this point, we’ll have to see how the next few years treat it, but it’s garage kept now, so I’m hoping it will be alright. Driveshaft and axles may need some love. Still running stock sized tires, so I think I need to make them grow a little.
And no, my days of sleeping in a seat are long past! Definitely need a bed of some sort.

Reactions: kenosha whiz six
Wow I just finished driving 2,000 mile from northern CA to Sedona and back in a 2015 Yukon Denali towing my 05 TJ I can’t imagine actually driving a TJ even 2,000 mile let alone 10,000 miles. If I were to do this trip in a Jeep it would need to be a 4 door JK or newer Jeep for having more storage room. That seams like a long drive for only one driver

View attachment 280724

View attachment 280725

View attachment 280726

View attachment 280727

View attachment 280728

View attachment 280729

View attachment 280730

View attachment 280731

That’s what I was thinking of doing, putting a popup on the safari cab like that. Is the back of top fairly vertical, matching the back edge of the tub, or does it lean forward? I know the factory top leans forward quite a few inches, so if the safari cab is more up and down, that might give me a couple of the extra inches I need.
I’ve made many things out of many different types of materials, wood, metal, concrete, but never fiberglass. Is it hard to make the molds and work with fiberglass for a first timer?

Not super keen on the renting aspect, plus part of it will be the journey to get there and back.

I’ve definitely considered not waiting, however, I’ll need to save for this trip for years. My wife will probably not be going with (she hates the cold, and probably won’t be able to handle that much time in a car), so the other thought is letting her drive some of it, helping me out some. Plus, getting her away from whatever boy she’s all over at the time might be good for my own sanity.
It is the journey, not the destination. I understand. But from a cost, convenience and comfort standpoint, I don’t think you can do much better than a TC rental. It will cost around $6k all in (including gas, insurance and misc.) for a three week, 3000 mile TC rental. Add a couple $k for airfare and that’s it.