Damage from attempted theft

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Addict
Someone finally tried to steal my Jeep today but luckily I caught them just as they had pried the bottom plastic cover off the steering column. I was in a not so great part of town and honestly I had kinda been expecting this to happen but...great way to end the day!

Only snapped a couple pictures but the damage (after a brief, initial inspection) looks like it could have been worse if I had been gotten there just a couple minutes later.

2c5f5f5784f288f292c2d65585b78374.0.jpg
IMG_20190716_201029.jpg

I was able to get the steering column "adjuster" lever back in place and it stays fine without the cover over it. The worst damage is on the ignition. I've got insurance so we'll see how it shakes out.

Any opinions on how to deal with this damage, getting another plastic cover panel, next steps...etc? Shout out to the cops who responded, they were real helpful and generally cool about the whole thing.

Ha, oh he absolutely got away and I was luckily smart enough not to chase him. He moved so fast that I don't know if I'd have even caught him anyway. I did stand in the parking lot with what I believe was his bike screaming I GOT YOUR BIKE MOTHERF***ER until I calmed down and got my wits back to call cops. He left a tool behind too and I think the bike in his haste to get away.

But yeah it was at a busy intersection with a lot of people around so I made as much noise as possible hoping he'd bolt. I wasn't armed and I'm coming off of a fractured collarbone in the last few weeks - not in a position to act tough. Dude easily could have pulled something on me and tried to just get the keys. Very possible for that to happen in the area where I was.

I'm hoping that chunk out of the ignition is the only serious damage, otherwise it's just the plastic cover that he pried off. We'll see though after it gets driven for a couple days.

Good that you busted him before he had taken your Jeep.....looks like more cosmetic damage than anything, am I right ?
I'll echo @Jerry Bransford about asking what happened to the 'perp' ?

Plastic cover, yeah I think just cosmetic. Too early to tell about the rest, initially I couldn't lock the steering column so the wheel was bobbing up in down. Got the lever back in place though and it's set/stable now. Steering felt a little loose maybe but yeah otherwise seemed to start/drive normally.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Geeze , thieves are rotten people man.

Word - kept this thing in mint condition up until today. You guys think junkyard or something for the plastic cover on the bottom part? Don't care too much personally about the looks right now, but it just seems like it would be inviting to anyone else looking for a quick score.

Reactions: JMT
Word - kept this thing in mint condition up until today. You guys think junkyard or something for the plastic cover on the bottom part? Don't care too much personally about the looks right now, but it just seems like it would be inviting to anyone else looking for a quick score.
Davey’s Jeeps . Now, don’t buy crack in that area any more .

Last edited:
My friends son who serves in the Army had his LJ stolen in Kansas not too long ago. Dumbass who stole it started using it for his lawn service company and was caught. Got the jeep back with steering column damage.

My friends son who serves in the Army had his LJ stolen in Kansas not too long ago. Dumbass who stole it started using it for his lawn service company and was caught. Got the jeep back with steering column damage.
Man if that doesn’t beat all ...driving a stolen Jeep working for the public . Wonder what all his customers are missing?

We must pray the forum group prayer for those who damage TJ’s - Please God , kill them.

Missouri is on my list of places not to go because of unchecked crime. Ranks right down there with Illinois and Michigan. I do not have the personality that blends well with criminals. I'd end up in jail. Caveat. I know the entire state isn't like that, but there are dozens of other states that are better run. Florida sucks as well. I miss Idaho.

I've got to ask. Why did you expect your jeep to get stolen?

I work part-time for a non-profit that just isn't in a great part of town. I understood that it was a fairly easy vehicle to steal and not very secure in general when I got it. I'm running a soft top for summer. A coworker of my wife's had his TJ stolen shortly before I got mine. And our neighborhood frequently has cars rifled through overnight despite being in a pretty decent part of town. Just a lot of different things taken into consideration together that had me thinking "when something happens" instead of "if something happens"

Also, I believe MO laws allow someone to sell a vehicle to a scrap yard even if they don't have the title for it. The vehicle has to be inoperable and they have to present ID but whoopdidoo, not hard to render it "inoperable" enough for some unscrupulous heckin scrap yard and I could get a fake ID when I was in high school. So we have something of an epidemic of car theft as I understand it.

Last edited:
Missouri is on my list of places not to go because of unchecked crime. Ranks right down there with Illinois and Michigan. I do not have the personality that blends well with criminals. I'd end up in jail. Caveat. I know the entire state isn't like that, but there are dozens of other states that are better run. Florida sucks as well. I miss Idaho.

Yeah. A lot of good here but definitely plenty of bad. We've got an understaffed/overworked police force in KCPD.

Reactions: Flivver250
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm glad you were able to stop it before he drove away with it. Most importantly that you didn't get hurt in the process.

The lower plastic cover is 24.93 new.
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...sZXImeT0yMDA0JnQ9c3BvcnQmZT00LTBsLWw2LWdhcw==
The steering column appears to be around $100 and a jeep liberty may have the same one.

I would bet a locksmith could re-key it for your current key or if your cylinder isn't messed up you could swap it over.

If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself I would bet it's cheaper than your deductible.

Any thoughts on the i
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm glad you were able to stop it before he drove away with it. Most importantly that you didn't get hurt in the process.

The lower plastic cover is 24.93 new.
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...sZXImeT0yMDA0JnQ9c3BvcnQmZT00LTBsLWw2LWdhcw==
The steering column appears to be around $100 and a jeep liberty may have the same one.

I would bet a locksmith could re-key it for your current key or if your cylinder isn't messed up you could swap it over.

If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself I would bet it's cheaper than your deductible. View attachment 104845

Thanks SO much for this. Thinking the plastic shroud cover is the only thing I actually need to replace as the original is completely busted up. Looks like it can just be slid back into place. That should help keep the column adjuster in place.

Is it your, or anyone's opinion, that the housing around the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced (first picture)? For now, key seems to insert and turn fine, no play in the cylinder that I can tell. Started up normally. Dude effed up the little rubber square/boot that goes around the wiper control arm. That stuff will drive me insane ha.

Thank you all for the comments and help. I could have been way more upset about this whole thing. Instead, I mostly felt comforted knowing I'd be able to come home and get help from this forum. So extra thank you to @Chris for creating this resource in the first place.

Any thoughts on the i

Thanks SO much for this. Thinking the plastic shroud cover is the only thing I actually need to replace as the original is completely busted up. Looks like it can just be slid back into place. That should help keep the column adjuster in place.

Is it your, or anyone's opinion, that the housing around the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced (first picture)? For now, key seems to insert and turn fine, no play in the cylinder that I can tell. Started up normally. Dude effed up the little rubber square/boot that goes around the wiper control arm. That stuff will drive me insane ha.

Thank you all for the comments and help. I could have been way more upset about this whole thing. Instead, I mostly felt comforted knowing I'd be able to come home and get help from this forum. So extra thank you to @Chris for creating this resource in the first place.
I don't see the bezel online but I bet you can find one by calling or inquiring at https://daveysjeeps.com/

If the cylinder works I would probably leave it as is.