Damage from attempted theft

Open your hood, flip open your relay/fuse box, remove the starter relay or fuel pump relay. stick it in your pocket. But alas they all look the same, and could probably pull another and stick it in place of the one you removed..... I'm just trying to think of things to slow them down.

I am back to buying a CLUB, a lot less work than popping the hood all the time. Then a tracking device. MAS track charges a fee but you would find the jeep quick unless they find the tracker.

What about a wheel clamp or.... this thing that locks your handbrake and gear stick ?

Reactions: americanwrkmule
I live in a very good neighborhood in New York City, but that didn't stop a thief from trying to steal my TJ. He cut through the club that fastened my clutch pedal to my steering wheel but that's about as far as he got. If he started the Jeep, he couldn't defeat the sentry key system. Ultimately he settled for ripping out my aftermarket radio... which cost me a cool $75.

Since then I've invested in a GPS tracker, so if it ever is stolen, I know where it's going.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I am back to buying a CLUB, a lot less work than popping the hood all the time. Then a tracking device. MAS track charges a fee but you would find the jeep quick unless they find the tracker.
I had a club decades ago. Not sure but I think I threw it away a very long time ago, long before I ever though I would own a Jeep.

Is it Dubai that still cuts off a thieves hands if caught ?
They would jail a car thief for a very long time and if there was the slightest cost to the victim, the thief would have to make 100% restitution. In all likelihood the thief would not be an Arab and at the end of all the punishment they would be deported forever. Crimes like this are almost unheard of here. Criminals would rather go to the states where thievery is generally ignored by our legal system. Here you get jailed for a bad check. They don't play ball with criminals.

They would jail a car thief for a very long time and if there was the slightest cost to the victim, the thief would have to make 100% restitution. In all likelihood the thief would not be an Arab and at the end of all the punishment they would be deported forever. Crimes like this are almost unheard of here. Criminals would rather go to the states where thievery is generally ignored by our legal system. Here you get jailed for a bad check. They don't play ball with criminals.
Love the hard line they take over there.

Love the hard line they take over there.
Behavior modification through pain avoidance. The American criminals do not fear our police, courts, judges and jails. Very rarely are our judges on the side of the victim. In the UAE the judges are always on the side of the law and the citizen. Criminals lose every single time.

Once a friend of mine was driving a vehicle using the wrong license. He was backed into by another guy who illegitimately did not have proper insurance and was at fault. The cops came, told them, we arrest you both or you both shut up and tow your vehicles home and park them. Both immediately decided the officers were extremely wise and they followed the sage advice.

Our Justice System here is a joke.
4 Vietnamese were caught poaching an elk where no hunting of that heard was allowed at all anything. A Judge let them off saying "In their country if its a wild animal they can kill it". Well......this isn't their country. They knew they were doing wrong, they were trying to hide it and lied when law enforcement showed up, saying it was hit by a car, when they had shot it and drug it through a fence from private property.

Last edited:
Someone finally tried to steal my Jeep today but luckily I caught them just as they had pried the bottom plastic cover off the steering column. I was in a not so great part of town and honestly I had kinda been expecting this to happen but...great way to end the day!

Only snapped a couple pictures but the damage (after a brief, initial inspection) looks like it could have been worse if I had been gotten there just a couple minutes later.

View attachment 104821View attachment 104822

I was able to get the steering column "adjuster" lever back in place and it stays fine without the cover over it. The worst damage is on the ignition. I've got insurance so we'll see how it shakes out.

Any opinions on how to deal with this damage, getting another plastic cover panel, next steps...etc? Shout out to the cops who responded, they were real helpful and generally cool about the whole thing.
Damn dude sorry to hear this happened to you, I think the best precaution to take to prevent anything else happening is to manual swap. Now-a-days people don't even know how to drive the manual, it seems to alien to others like what the hell is that,lol. But lets just say this dude has been scoping the tj out for a while and is waiting for another chance. I understand that there are other precautions like a hidden kill switch but its funny seeing people get confused when the see a stick.

I linked a video here for you, its on how to install a kill switch to the fuel pumps.
Hope this helps

They also have those OBD trackers, if it gets stolen, you can follow it and call the cops. Just tell them you have a tracker and they will go hook up Johnny B Good...
whats the OBD tracker called I am very intrigued, I live in New York a fairly good part but sometimes I have to drive out to the city and last thing I would want is my car to be stolen and have absolutely no way of tracking it and prolonging the search for my car that will prob end up in a chop shop and lost for all eternity.

Sorry you got sorta stolen. I had my van broken into on a Vegas trip. No fun at all. If I worked or lived where car theft was a real problem I’d install a kill switch that would have to be flipped. The thugs would still tear your ignition up but couldn’t steal your ride. A fellow I worked for when I was in high school got rid of his cute MG to buy a sexy used Corvette. He hadn’t had it very long when he went to drive to work one morning the thugs had removed not one but both locks from the doors trying to get in. He had to get it carried to the chevy dealer to get it fixed. Think he had an alarm installed then. Thieves should have their arms broken and be made to pay restitution.

whats the OBD tracker called I am very intrigued, I live in New York a fairly good part but sometimes I have to drive out to the city and last thing I would want is my car to be stolen and have absolutely no way of tracking it and prolonging the search for my car that will prob end up in a chop shop and lost for all eternity.

https://www.mastrack.com/