Damaged battery: repairable or scrap?

Sea Cot

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The shipping company for the place that has all the parts your car will ever need got a bit frisky with a battery. A replacement will be sent free of charge and without obligation to return the damaged unit. I haven't messed around with it yet, but has anyone tackled a repair like this- straighten it out and secure with epoxy blob? Or, just let it go?

20220123_205536.jpg

Autozone, Advance Auto, etc usually will give you $10-20 of store credit if you recycle a battery with them.

I'd leave it alone. A battery can make a big boom if things short out.

Put some epoxy putty around it and see if it will adhere to the plastic. Hate to see a new battery go to waste. It can be use as a jumper. It’s worth more as a core than scrap value.

Reactions: Farmergreg
I've never gotten a battery delivered.
Was it shipped empty with some acid to fil it up? If so I wouldn't fill it up.

If it came already filled it's probably fine or somebody would have already experienced the problem. I wuoldn't use it in any vehicle but maybe you could come up with something stationary (backup sump pump, security camera or lights?).

I've never gotten a battery delivered.
Was it shipped empty with some acid to fil it up? If so I wouldn't fill it up.

If it came already filled it's probably fine or somebody would have already experienced the problem. I wuoldn't use it in any vehicle but maybe you could come up with something stationary (backup sump pump, security camera or lights?).

it's an AGM battery, so nothing to fill. No leaks.

AGM is still a lead acid battery. Along with acid your dealing with hydrogen. So it needs to be sealed up. I’m not sure what epoxy would stick here. I weld/solder industrial batteries as we change the cells when they go bad so my “tolerance” for playing with a battery may be higher than others. Lol. Be aware of the dangers involved.

Reactions: Fonz54
I tried a repair to a battery post once, in my case it was broken off and I tried using JB WELD it did NOT work, apparently JB is not "conductive" so I just recycled the battery. Note, if a plate shorts out internally it can be not so good. I had one explode and start a heck of a fire. Be careful

Return that to a local branch and let them deal with it. A free battery that is dangerous to use, isn't very much of an asset.

it's an AGM battery, so nothing to fill. No leaks.
AGM batteries are called maintenance free because they are "sealed." I put sealed in quotes because they actually have what is called a valve regulated vent that will expel hydrogen gas at something like 1 or 2 psi of internal pressure. Yours is no longner "sealed". It's garbage and potentially dangerous.

Put some epoxy putty around it and see if it will adhere to the plastic. Hate to see a new battery go to waste. It can be use as a jumper. It’s worth more as a core than scrap value.
I’m good with this....but I’ve got lots of batteries on the farm, I can find a less stressful location for it!

Reactions: Gollywomper