Dana 30 destruction stories

Paul Ruggles

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The question has been asked a million times on other forums, but I want to add a twist to it.

Who has ACTUALLY seen a dana 30 ring and pinion or differential fail? Axle shafts or u joints don't count because there are solutions to those issues.

I have only seen 1 personally. AMC 360 with a manual transmission and 33s. Broke teeth off the ring gear. Probably could have broke a Dana 60 the way he was driving. The front end was off the ground, landed wide open in second gear. SNAP.

Let's hear your stories. Driving style and tire size please

You just need to hang out with the XJ peeps a bit, lol

I saw 2-3 people take teeth of of gears this weekend at naxja winterfest

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I know 3 people.

1 had the old style, 2-piece ARB that was prone to spitting out bolts. So maybe that doesnt count...

2nd guy was one who wheels and beats the hell out of his rig on a hpd30, 35s and a "4link" (he ran without the passenger side upper control arm). Donuts in the parking lot, uses the axle as a battering ram, drives over things in reverse, etc...he chewed teeth regularly. He installed his own gears but his rig is also a trailer queen. So that could be why.

3rd was a guy who also wheels pretty hard on 35s and a trailerqueen. I dont know what contributed to his exactly, but he did lose a couple teeth after a long weekend of wheeling.