Dana 30 front diff cover: ARB vs Dana Spicer nodular cover 10023534

Jeepaholic

TJ Enthusiast
Any negatives to either of these covers, and will either interfere with future eaton e locker install? 3.5 metalcloak lift with trackbar. The spicer cover I noticed has a drain plug that seems placed right where it will get hit? I'm looking at these 2 covers for a couple reasons. 1-protection. 2-they appear to be shaped internally similar to the factory cover which I believe oils the diff better than most covers that are just a bowl.

No experience with either of those, but my RockHard 4x4 half covers have been more than sufficient.

Any negatives to either of these covers

Yes, the ARB cover is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest ones out there so there’s an increased probability that it will interfere with the track bar. No idea if it will or won’t with the parts you’ve described. If you research the issue you’ll learn that the only way to answer that question is to put it on the housing and cycle the suspension, otherwise you’re just guessing. I have one that works with my setup, it is indestructible, the drain plug is convenient & the plug/dipstick magnets work very well, none of which matters if it causes interference however. I don’t know anything about the other cover you mentioned.

I haven't seen that particular Spicer cover but at least it has a good shape that will not cause lube distribution issues like some aftermarket covers do. I wouldn't do an ARB cover up front, it is big enough that it will likely interfere with the steering components.

Alloy makes a stamped 5/16" cover. Its a plain jane cover exactly like stock but it will get the job done. The other option is currie/barnett. A stock cover with a shit ton of armor welded to it. Not pretty, but also gets the job done.

Didn’t know the Spicer one existed either. I like that it has a 2nd full plug. The Spicer catalog says it’s for when trying to fill a differential with a high pinion angle. I also really like the idea of a drain plug. Those plugs must make fluid changes a breeze

Last edited:
I am running a Riddler Cover w/o any issues but then I also have a Dana 44 up front

cover_zpsc6f9fdf1.JPG

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna do the spicer cover then, the currie/Barnett style one I just feel like the right direct hit could cave the center in on the ring gear. Probably would never happen, and I try not to hit the diff on anything. Plus, the drain plug is a nice feature. Also side note, currie has diff covers that look just like arb now as well?

What kind of gear oil flow problems do some covers cause? Right now I've just got a stock cover with a warn bolt on lower shield.

I have the teraflex, it's nice and affordable. The Recon Rubicon uses a cast diff cover too which is very similar but only for the Dana 44. Chrysler/Dana/Jeep moved away from the stamped cover with a guard for heavy duty applications. Anybody that has seen the recon cover knows it ain't for looks.

This video shows it best, factory cover is shaped a certain way for a reason.

Watching 5:30 in the top video with the stock shaped cover and 8:06 in the bottom video with the flat cover both at 30mph the fluid color and pattern looks the same to me.

When you are trying to compare two things why put them in two separate videos using different camera angles and lighting? Was the point to compare or was it just to prove something to folks on facebook?

Listen to Him in the first video at 0:20, "theories people have been popping on facebook." And listen to Him talk about the "ridge" on his stock style cover, basically making excuses as to why things don't appear the way He thought they should. Anybody that's changed the oil in their diffs once knows the factory covers don't line up with the case and there is a ridge around the inside.

This guy has probably been telling folks for years that flat covers are crap and wanted to prove he was right, the results weren't exactly what he thought so he put it together best he could so it would look like he was correct. No big deal, it is fun to watch. In the end it doesn't really matter, the large flat covers they are talking about don't even fit our Jeeps. Not to mention in the front diff the oil goes the other direction.

I've seen a handful of those Spicer covers with the upper parts of the stiffening ribs ground down to clear track bars. I researched this exact issue earlier this summer when I was building my HP 30.

I've cycled mine and seen just how close my Currie bar is to my stock cover at full stuff and I'm convinced stock or the Barnett covers are the only way to go. YMMV.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna do the spicer cover then, the currie/Barnett style one I just feel like the right direct hit could cave the center in on the ring gear. Probably would never happen, and I try not to hit the diff on anything. Plus, the drain plug is a nice feature. Also side note, currie has diff covers that look just like arb now as well?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but can you provide what the dimensions of it are? I'm considering picking one up as well because of the drain and fill holes but I want to make sure the clearance is alright on my stock height TJ before I go through with it.

I ran the dana cover and noticed after a few wheeling trips the drain plug allen hole was shaved down to the point where I almost couldn't get it off. Also the plug began to loosen to the point it was finger tight. I would not recommend it.

I ran the dana cover and noticed after a few wheeling trips the drain plug allen hole was shaved down to the point where I almost couldn't get it off. Also the plug began to loosen to the point it was finger tight. I would not recommend it.

Wow the drain hole was the whole reason I wanted it. Guess I’ll go with the poison spyder.

Out of curiosity, though, how was the clearance?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but can you provide what the dimensions of it are? I'm considering picking one up as well because of the drain and fill holes but I want to make sure the clearance is alright on my stock height TJ before I go through with it.

I have he ARB covers and have no clearance issues.