Dana 35 rebuild?

JacksonH

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I have a Dana 35 with a leaky pinion seal and have heard stories of the Dana 35 “blowing up” and was curious if what I should do?

Replace the pinion seal if that’s all there is wrong. Keep it simple. Unless you are having other issues…or are looking for a reason to upgrade…

Reactions: SvtLdr
Like @eastbloc says, it's just leaking. If you keep an eye on how much fluid is in the diff it's nothing to loose sleep over. Personally I might grab the yoke and see if it had any radial play just to be sure there wasn't another issue but otherwise it isn't a big deal.

A leaky pinion seal is not an indication of pending detonation.

Any axle can blow up under the right circumstances.

Reactions: Irun and MichaelGH
Is the Dana 35 a weak spot? Yes, under certain conditions. Is it a ticking time bomb? No, this is another exaggerated internet story, told by those with no experience. Ask yourself this question. If the Dana 35 is so bad, why was it put under tens of thousands of TJs, across a decade? In the grand scheme, it has proven to be very reliable.

That said, seals leak and parts wear out over time. Replace any worn out parts and inspect for other issues. Upgrade only if your intended use necessitates it. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of money for little to no perceivable gain.

• USA Proud