Dana 35 squeaking when I take off

thekevin

I noticed it a few weeks ago when under heavier than normal acceleration it was vibrating and squeaking in the rear. I have a 3” lift and no sye so I put a 1” tcase drop and both new u-joints in the rear driveshaft this past weekend thinking that would fix it. It took care of 90% of the vibration when accelerating but the squeaking is still there. I don’t notice either of them any time other than taking off quickly. I have 3.73s and trackloc if that matters. I am thinking maybe wheel bearings.

I noticed it a few weeks ago when under heavier than normal acceleration it was vibrating and squeaking in the rear. I have a 3” lift and no sye so I put a 1” tcase drop and both new u-joints in the rear driveshaft this past weekend thinking that would fix it. It took care of 90% of the vibration when accelerating but the squeaking is still there. I don’t notice either of them any time other than taking off quickly. I have 3.73s and trackloc if that matters. I am thinking maybe wheel bearings.

Are you sure it is from the rear? I am going to step out on a limb and suggest you check the bearing in the centering yoke of the front driveshaft CV joint.

Sound like driveshaft u-joints to me.

Especially given that you are now lifted without a SYE and DC driveshaft.

So failing ujoints?

Prior to my lift.... i replaced the front driveshaft ujoints.

Well I am not saying your case is the same as the OPs, but if I had to guess, that would be it. It could also be bad wheel bearings too I suppose.

Well I am not saying your case is the same as the OPs, but if I had to guess, that would be it. It could also be bad wheel bearings too I suppose.

My case is pretty similar... except ibdidnt drop the tcase.

The squeaking is a new sou
And the centering yoke?

Not the yoke.

I did all ujoints on front driveshaft and axles.

2.75 in lift... havent dropped case yet. Minor vibes.

Sorry guys, I had no reception on my phone all day. Stuck in a big metal building. It sure sounds like it’s coming from the rear. I mean it sounds just like every bad u-joint I have ever had.

if the transfer case is in 2wd could it still be the front joints causing it?

I will try and get someone else to drive it tomorrow and stand beside it and see if I can tell for sure if it’s front or back.

To compare... does your squealing sound like polyurethane or rubber on metal?

Thats what i am trying to diagnose on my end. When i first heard it... i thought it was the metal spring digging into the polyurethane coil spacers.

The squeal occurs just as you described... during low speed acceleration or deceleration. Straight or turning.

Except i think my sound is coming from the front.