Dana 44 questions

rancholago

TJ Enthusiast
First, I am in the middle of learning here, learned a lesson the other day and a Rubicon got away from me.
One of the things I did learn was the Dana 44 Axle was important to have;
I am thinking that the TJ Rubicon came with Dana 44 which is 4:10 ratio and comes with air lockers, (the Rubicon I was looking at had On Board Comperessor) and Rear disk brakes.
If I had a TJ, what ever year, would say a '04 TJ Rubicon rear axle (as described above) bolt up. Is there a break in the years? for example 97 to 03 and 03 to 06, would this axle be interchangeable.
And to go a step further, would the front axle have to come from Rubicon also? Would it have to be 4:10 ratio to match the rear axle?
Or is it just better to buy lockers for the axle you have and the gears you need depending on what size tires you are running?
Last if you found an axle what would be a good price, as in fair price, for complete rubicon rear axle ready to bolt in?

Front and rear ratios need to match.
All TJ 97-06 axles are interchangeable.
As well as the Rubicon a 44 was an option in other versions with different ratios. All LJ’s have a disc brake 44 with 3.73 OE

Ive seen a few non-rubi 44s here go for about 800-1200. Rubis fetch more.

Any ball park idea about a fair price?
Fair or market? Its all over the place. I have seen pairs of Rubi axles from $5k to $2500. Depends on stock, or built up with aftermarket shafts, gears or lockers. Some may be bent too, if the person wheels hard and is upgrading. Wrecked Jeeps are hit and miss too, damage can be hidden.

Why do you think you need a Rubi 44 axle?

My recommendation is to go with a used Dana 44 and your choice of locker. An Eaton E-Locker would be a great choice and only requires an electrical on-off switch type control, no compressor or air lines are required. Rubicon Dana 44 axles with their lockers generally sell for more than they're worth.

Reactions: ColoJeep and D M
They're out there. I found a Dana 44 from an LJ for $500. That's a little less then what they usually go for around here. I'll be adding my own locker one of these days.

I paid $800 for my rear Dana 44 w/ disc brakes from a Sahara. I picked up a XJ HP Dana 30 from local wrecker for $120 and built it. Finding a Dana 44 from Rubicon is rare let alone at a reasonable price.