Dana 44 Rear Axle Shaft Bearing Movement

I have just started on the second half/rear end of my axle swap to remove the dreaded Dana 35 and replace it with a Dana 44. I have been inspecting just about everything because I plan on using parts from my old 35 and new 44 together.

Anyways, I have removed both rear shafts and found that the shaft bearing, the one that is pressed onto the actual shaft, seems to have sliding movement about a 1/4in. I think it's just the cage that hold the barrels not the inner race. Is this normal? Any cause for concern? It is the same on driver and passenger side but I thought I would just double check in case I need to invest in a HF press...

Thanks!

I’d be surprised if you had that much wear on both sides. Does the Dana 44 have disc brakes or drums and are the 4-bolt retainer plates flat or do they have a lip?

Also, when bearings are not locked into the race they are pretty loose. So don’t really judge by that. Judge by movement when they’re bolted in. If you’re getting that much movement when bolted in then you probably have drum retainer plates on a disc setup.

I’d be surprised if you had that much wear on both sides. Does the Dana 44 have disc brakes or drums and are the 4-bolt retainer plates flat or do they have a lip?

Also, when bearings are not locked into the race they are pretty loose. So don’t really judge by that. Judge by movement when they’re bolted in. If you’re getting that much movement when bolted in then you probably have drum retainer plates on a disc setup.

Drum brakes with the flat triangular-ish shaped bracket no lip. I didn't really notice any vertical movement when I was pulling the shafts.

Drum brakes with the flat triangular-ish shaped bracket no lip. I didn't really notice any vertical movement when I was pulling the shafts.

I’d be looking more for in and out play. I’d probably replace them anyways if it were me because it’s easy to do if you have a press and I have one. If you don’t have a press and you aren’t seeing any play in and out then I would run it.

Reactions: RockyMountain_TJ
I have just started on the second half/rear end of my axle swap to remove the dreaded Dana 35 and replace it with a Dana 44. I have been inspecting just about everything because I plan on using parts from my old 35 and new 44 together.

Anyways, I have removed both rear shafts and found that the shaft bearing, the one that is pressed onto the actual shaft, seems to have sliding movement about a 1/4in. I think it's just the cage that hold the barrels not the inner race. Is this normal? Any cause for concern? It is the same on driver and passenger side but I thought I would just double check in case I need to invest in a HF press...

Thanks!

The cage sits on there relatively loose to hold the roller bearings in. When it gets seated into the race it will be fine.

Reactions: RockyMountain_TJ
I've never seen a D-44 rig that came from the factory with ABS. Do you know of any?

No TJ Dana 44 axles came with ABS.

Mine did. I attached the build sheet, but it's a PDF so I don't know if you'll be able to see it. Here's a screen grab too, just in case.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 10.24.16 AM.png

Attachments

• 2005 Wrangler Sport.pdf
    5.8 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: machoheadgames
I've never seen a D-44 rig that came from the factory with ABS. Do you know of any?

I think it was pretty rare but Denny’s does show Spicer axle shaft part numbers for 05-06 Dana 44 with anti lock, has the tone ring pressed on outboard of the retainer plate. It doesn’t explicitly say but appears drum only, based on the retainer plates in the photos.

IMG_3998.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

Reactions: deadbeat son
Correct, rear drums. From my understanding all ABS rigs have rear drum brakes.

Actually yeah now that I think about it, that would make sense. Dana 35 were the majority and I’m pretty sure they were all drums. Easy to convert after the fact with factory or aftermarket parts, but I don’t think Jeep ever shipped them that way stock. Very few Dana 44 with ABS and only the last 2 years of production, so they probably wanted to just keep doing it on the drum option only so they didn’t have to reinvent the wheel to make it work with the rear disc option also.

I think it was pretty rare but Denny’s does show Spicer axle shaft part numbers for 05-06 Dana 44 with anti lock, has the tone ring pressed on outboard of the retainer plate. It doesn’t explicitly say but appears drum only, based on the retainer plates in the photos.

View attachment 511723

View attachment 511724

Yes, we are aware of the 05-06 stuff but they are exceptionally rare. Previous to that oddball set up, it was easy to tell because all ABS rigs were rear drum Dana 35's, and if it had a 44 it was non ABS. So basically from 97-02 it was easy, 03-04 are yet to be determined, and it was optional on the rigs with a Dana 44 in 05-06 and with drum brakes. What is really odd is why they didn't make it optional with rear disc brakes and include them on the Dana 35, and the 44. They have the sensors and backing plates set up for them with the ZJ stuff which is essentially the same backing plate.

Mine did. I attached the build sheet, but it's a PDF so I don't know if you'll be able to see it. Here's a screen grab too, just in case.

View attachment 511722

Note how my question was phrased. I know they exist, I've been through this before a few times with window stickers. I just have never seen one and I've seen a lot of rigs.

Actually yeah now that I think about it, that would make sense. Dana 35 were the majority and I’m pretty sure they were all drums. Easy to convert after the fact with factory or aftermarket parts, but I don’t think Jeep ever shipped them that way stock. Very few Dana 44 with ABS and only the last 2 years of production, so they probably wanted to just keep doing it on the drum option only so they didn’t have to reinvent the wheel to make it work with the rear disc option also.

Most of that on their part is kinda silly. They had the parts on the shelf at one point. Sensors, tone rings, and disc brake backing plates from the ZJ all bolt right up and plug into the connectors.