Dana 44 with no drain plug?

I love my lube locker, I’m sure there’s reasons to not use it but I haven’t found any of them yet.

I got the rear diff cover off tonight and got it pretty nice and cleaned but ran out of brake cleaner so I am going to wait to RTV it tomorrow and then fill it Saturday. The rtv came off okay with a razor and scour. I am probably in this job about an hour so far so no complaints yet, but I might try the lubelocker next time.

rekindling this post...

My used LJ has dana 44 front / back with arb lockers. The front axle housing has the typical drain plug off the right side of the bottom rib running thelength of the pumpkin and has markings including a triangle and some serial numbers stamped like pictures in this thread.

Interesting that my rear Dana 44 is different in that there are no markings on it and the drain plug is facing down along the bottom rib which obviously takes a beating so I replace the plug every flush.

I've read in other threads that the jeep 2006 TJ rear Dana 44 has the plug facing down but is this correct for just 06 or all the Rubicon years and being different design than the front or do I have some other brand. Fortunately, it all is working thus far but would be good to document and know.

Thanks

I’d be surprised if they had a different pumpkin rubicon vs not both with a drain, so my guess is that it’s an aftermarket axle.

Here’s my LJ rubicon rear:

D0AFBFE1-17BA-4018-B6D7-7A97BF2A3997.jpeg

Last edited:
rekindling this post...

My used LJ has dana 44 front / back with arb lockers. The front axle housing has the typical drain plug off the right side of the bottom rib running thelength of the pumpkin and has markings including a triangle and some serial numbers stamped like pictures in this thread.

Interesting that my rear Dana 44 is different in that there are no markings on it and the drain plug is facing down along the bottom rib which obviously takes a beating so I replace the plug every flush.

I've read in other threads that the jeep 2006 TJ rear Dana 44 has the plug facing down but is this correct for just 06 or all the Rubicon years and being different design than the front or do I have some other brand. Fortunately, it all is working thus far but would be good to document and know.

Thanks
My 2006 44 rear has no drain plug.

Thanks for pic and sharing.
Here is pic of mine with new plug. Guess they came in different flavors but stupid place for a plug.

PXL_20210913_142304023.jpg