Dana 44 with no drain plug?

sa1126

TJ Enthusiast
I have watched a few videos on changing my diff fluid and the dana 44's all had drain plugs. My build sheet says I have a dana 44 but I don't see a drain plug. Am I wrong here?

IMG_20191002_203503.jpg

IMG_20191002_203458.jpg

I have only seen drain plugs on JK Dana 44s. I’ve never seen one on a tj housing.

TJ Rubicon Dana 44's have drain plugs. I've never used mine.
Standing at the back looking at the spare tire, where is it on the axle? My understanding is it should be on the passenger side on the other side of the diff cover. Mine does not have it, but my axle is a Dana 44, right?

And now I think I know why the Rubicon costs so much more, They put drain plugs in both axles.

Yes, I just made that up but I'll never understand why some Dana 44 differential housings would be different than other Dana 44 differential housings. Engineering? Accounting? Someone with a hangover on the production line?

Thanks again to everyone for clarifying this. I am going to try and do the rear axle tonight.

Just take the cover off and when you put it back on get a lubelocker gasket. Makes life so much easier

Reactions: rasband
Just take the cover off and when you put it back on get a lubelocker gasket. Makes life so much easier
So no RTV? That would definitely make life easier. Is the lubelocker the general consensus here?

I use RTV as I only change the diff oil once a year, lube lockers are $30. They will chime in with how the lube lockers are better for road side repairs, and I can't argue that point, but I just use RTV.

I use the lube locker. And I use it more than once. I have another waiting in the wings for when it looks like it’s going south. It makes changing go faster, at least that’s what I think. Don’t have to clean up the old RTV. They’re 22 bucks on Amazon.

Reactions: Fouledplugs