Dash "brake" light staying on

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
As the title suggests, I am having an issue with the dash "brake" light staying on. Other than the parking brake switch, are there any other brake-related systems that would cause this? Also, I checked the wire going to the parking brake switch with my trusty circuit tester and it is hot when the key is on. Is that normal? I have tried to find a replacement switch just to see if that is the issue, but it seems that part is not available for my 2000 TJ.
Can I just ground the wire going to the parking brake switch to see if it is that switch?
Thanks!

As the title suggests, I am having an issue with the dash "brake" light staying on. Other than the parking brake switch, are there any other brake-related systems that would cause this? Also, I checked the wire going to the parking brake switch with my trusty circuit tester and it is hot when the key is on. Is that normal? I have tried to find a replacement switch just to see if that is the issue, but it seems that part is not available for my 2000 TJ.
Can I just ground the wire going to the parking brake switch to see if it is that switch?
Thanks!

Other systems, would be low fluid, and the switch in the 'proportioning' valve below the master cylinder.

Have you checked to make sure all of the brake lights are working? I feel like I remember reading somewhere in the past (maybe on a different forum?) that the light stayed on when their third brake light shorted or burned out? Probably unlikely, but something to check I guess?

Reactions: SgtMajor138
Also, I checked the wire going to the parking brake switch with my trusty circuit tester and it is hot when the key is on. Is that normal?
Yes, the power at the switch is coming from the light which has a constant voltage on it.
The parking brake switch provides the ground.
If unplugging it doesn't turn it off, then the switch is not the problem.
Same for the brake warning switch, at the master cylinder.

Reactions: SgtMajor138