Dealer Issues

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I thought that I would share an interesting story that happened to me yesterday. My daily driver is a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited. In order to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty, Chrysler makes me get it inspected every five years. I took it in yesterday, and while it was there I asked them to change the oil and swap tires left to right. I was very clear with the service advisor that the tires couldn't be rotated front to back since they are staggered, and the fronts and rears could only be swapped from side to side. She seemed to understand and I went on my way.

I picked up the Jeep and started my 30 mile drive home. I thought it was steering a little funny, but wasn't overly concerned. I had to stop at a friend's place before I went home, so when I did I got out and looked at the front tires. Then I looked again. 285/40/20? Shouldn't those be on the rear? Then I looked at the rear. 255/45/20. Wait. Did I read the front wrong and it actually said 235? I shouldn't have 235s on this Jeep. I read it again then it hit me. They put the rear tires on the front.

I then reached behind to feel if there was any clearance between the tire and the steering knuckle, and sure enough the tire was flat against it and rubbing. The knuckle was so hot it burned my hand. I called the dealer and they sent out a flatbed to get it and brought it back.

My wife drove me to the dealer this morning so I could be there when they opened. I told them that I wanted two new rear tires and since everything got so hot a full inspection of the knuckle, ball joints, hubs, and ABS system. In addition, I wanted a signed letter from the service manager that indicated the inspection was done, what was replaced, and if a component wasn't replaced that it was found to be in good working order.

About an hour later they came back and they are providing everything that I asked for, and I'm in a 2017 Grand Cherokee rental until they can get the tires in.

Wow, I believe it though.
Glad they are hooking you up though, may end up being a blessing in disguise to have all that replaced.

My dealer wouldn't have done a damn thing for me. They would have turned it around on me and said that's what I told them to do lol. Good thing yours fessed up.

Wow! Clearly they didn't listen! At least you got some new tires out of it from the sounds of it?

It's good to know that they fixed it without any hassle whatsoever (as they should have). Some dealers could have been a real pain in the butt to deal with in a case like this.

I'm going to assume the Grand Cherokee (like many BMWs) has larger width wheels in the rear, and therefore bigger tires in the rear? I remember my BMW M3 being like that.

Wow! Clearly they didn't listen! At least you got some new tires out of it from the sounds of it?

It's good to know that they fixed it without any hassle whatsoever (as they should have). Some dealers could have been a real pain in the butt to deal with in a case like this.

Yep! I have Nitto 420s tires so they had to be special ordered.

I'm going to assume the Grand Cherokee (like many BMWs) has larger width wheels in the rear, and therefore bigger tires in the rear? I remember my BMW M3 being like that.

Also yep. My Grand Cherokee has SRT8 Wheels so it uses a 255/45/20 in the front and 285/40/20 in the back.

Reactions: Chris
I'm shocked that they actually moved those big ass tires from the rear to the front LOL. I have no business working on a vehicle and I wouldn't even make that mistake. It's scary to think about honestly. What if they didn't tighten lug nuts all the way...I'm already thinking about worst case scenarios haha

Reactions: Serbonze
Glad to hear there gonna fix it up free of charge...hate to be in the shoes of the employee that did it lol.

Reactions: Serbonze
So after driving the 2017 Grand Cherokee for 24 hours, I can say it's a really refined vehicle.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate auto start/stop. I disabled it last night. It's horrible.

Our dealer won’t even touch my Jeep. They say a 2003 is too old, so they won’t even work on it. I called Jeep Corporate and filled them in. But, that is really crappy service. I went for a quote on brakes. And got the royal brush off. So, it will never be worked on by Jeep.
I agree, I hate the auto start stop thing. It seems big in Europe, that’s where I first encountered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our dealer won’t even touch my Jeep. They say a 2003 is too old, so they won’t even work on it. I called Jeep Corporate and filled them in. But, that is really crappy service. I went for a quote on brakes. And got the royal brush off. So, it will never be worked on by Jeep.
I agree, I hate the auto start stop thing. It seems big in Europe, that’s where I first encountered it.

That's surprising to me. The dealers around here are very friendly and accommodating to the off road community. The dealership that I've been dealing with above is actually a sponsor of the largest club in Tampa.

That's great that they are stepping up. I took my ford in cause I could hear some noise from the rear end. They said no trouble found (would have been warranty work). Well less than 15,000 miles later (and out of warranty), I changed my rear diff fluid, and there is all kinds of glitter in there. I think it's the pinion bearing. I haven't called yet, cause I know they are going to tell me piss off....and that will royally piss ME off!

They refuse your service because it's a 2003 tj? Is that even legal lol

That's surprising to me. The dealers around here are very friendly and accommodating to the off road community. The dealership that I've been dealing with above is actually a sponsor of the largest club in Tampa.

Yep, it largely depends on the dealer. Some dealers won't give you the time of day if you drive an old Jeep, others are all for it. Just depends on who you visit.