Dealership screwed up brake job

Update, the BS continues....

So the front brakes were replaced as described in my last post. They also replaced a leaking transmission line. Total cost this time $2000.00 so now I'm into the dealership for a total of 3k. I bought the jeep two months ago for $5300 and took it to the dealership to get it inspected so that I could register it and I was told by the previous owner that it has a slow transmission leak that just he didn't bother fixing and just added a little ATF-4 every couple of weeks.

I leave the dealership and the brakes seem OK but the it isn't accelerating like it should and it is skipping second gear as I accelerate. I pulled out in traffic and almost got rear ended and the guy was riding my ass because I could not get up to speed. I get home and notice that it is also still leaking transmission fluid. Needless to say at this point I'm pissed and I call the dealership and leave a message on their voicemail letting them know what is going on and that I'm pissed off.

They tell me to bring the jeep back in. On the way back in the check engine light comes on so I ask them to look into that as well.

They call and say, they bumped some line that tells the transmission how far the gas pedal is pushed down or something equivalent to that and basically the transmission was in limp mode and was in fact skipping second gear and not able to get up to speed on a hill. They fixed that and apologized. They said the front and rear transmission seals somehow didn't get tightened properly and fixed that and apologized. They said the check engine light was due to a faulty fuel purge valve solenoid and fixed it for $400. So the total for this visit is $400 and I pay it and hope this is the end.

Drive away, car accelerates and drives like it should. Finally!

Nope... the next day there is red and brown fluid dripping still. Much slower that before but still leaking. I call back and make an appointment. Bring the jeep back. They call and say they transmission seals were bad, their fault and they are finally fixed. So they claim. They then ask if I drove the jeep through deep water. I said no it hasn't even been in the rain since I got it and has spent most of it's time at the shop. They proceed to tell me that the transfer case fluid looks like pepto bismol and it must have gotten water in it and they are convinced that I drove it into deep water. I proceed to tell them that I didn't and no one else has driven the car. They tell me that they have to keep the car over the weekend and are draining the transfer case fluid and trying to figure out how I got water in the transfer case. They said the transmission fluid was fine.

That is the end of what I know from them. After some internet research and forum reading I think my problem is that the transmission cooling line in the radiator has a leak and its not water but coolant in the transfer case. Sounds like I need a new radiator or and external cooler for the transmission. From what I can tell in my situation it is best to replace the radiator and not put an aftermarket transmission cooler on because in the winter in Missouri it can be too cold for the transmission. Seems I should also replace the water pump and thermostat while I'm at it.

I can't seem to figure out if the fluid in the transfer case is shared with the transmission. It seems like it is but I can't find a definite answer. If anyone knows and can share that information with me I would appreciate it. Also any thoughts or input on any or all of the above is also welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

-Jon

The ATF in the transfer case is separate from the transmission and there is no way the fluids from these two components will mix.
There is a chance the previous owner may have driven thru deep water during a rain storm.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
The ATF in the transfer case is separate from the transmission and there is no way the fluids from these two components will mix.
There is a chance the previous owner may have driven thru deep water during a rain storm.

They could mix through the input/output. I don't think that's what's going on here though.

Thank you for the information. It's good to know that my transmission is not gonna need to be replaced secondary to the "water" in the transfer case.

The guy working on the car said that the fluid in the transfer case was fine the last two times the jeep was in for service. He actually said that he remembered it being clear red.

I'm going to do some more Google searching and reading on the forums to try and figure out where the water or coolant is coming from.

I'm still wondering if it could be a leaking hose in the radiator, in other words does the fluid in the transfer case have a separate line that gets cooled via the radiator just like the transmission?

Seems like replacing the radiator might be a reasonable thing to do at this point anyway. I really enjoy driving the jeep and plan to make it my daily driver for years to come (if I can finally get it all straightened out). I've been driving a Nissan Xterra for the past nine years and it runs great but I'd rather be in the jeep.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and insight. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to someone in the future and hopefully someday I'll be able to add useful information to the forums.

The radiator has nothing to do with the transfer case. There is a vent hose that should go from the top of the transfer case to I believe one of the upper bell housing bolts.

The radiator has nothing to do with the transfer case. There is a vent hose that should go from the top of the transfer case to I believe one of the upper bell housing bolts.

OK thanks. I just downloaded the service manual. Figured that should keep me busy for a while.

I have no idea how water would have gotten in the transfer case.

Thanks again for your reply.

Stop going to this dealer. Find someone else.

You are right, I need to find somewhere else that can work on the jeep. I just figured I was already $3500 into it at the dealership and at this point I feel like it is on them to get it straightened out instead of going somewhere else and starting all over again and paying another $$$$ to maybe get it right.

I feel like the jeep dealership should be capable of fixing a jeep. It's not rocket science. But you are right, I think this is going to be my last interaction with them. Pretty sad that they can't get this car fixed when that is what they are supposedly trained to do.

In case anyone is wondering this is the jeep dealership in Columbia, MO. Hopefully others have had better experience than I have.

You are right, I need to find somewhere else that can work on the jeep. I just figured I was already $3500 into it at the dealership and at this point I feel like it is on them to get it straightened out instead of going somewhere else and starting all over again and paying another $$$$ to maybe get it right.

I feel like the jeep dealership should be capable of fixing a jeep. It's not rocket science. But you are right, I think this is going to be my last interaction with them. Pretty sad that they can't get this car fixed when that is what they are supposedly trained to do.

In case anyone is wondering this is the jeep dealership in Columbia, MO. Hopefully others have had better experience than I have.
I can pretty much guarantee any tech at the dealership was not there while the TJ was manufactured, therefore they have no experience fixing them.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure at $3500 into it and no resolve, I would be informing owner of said dealership I would be contacting the BBB and also be taking them to small claims court if this issue wasn't resolved w/ no more out of pocket from you.

I'm pretty sure at $3500 into it and no resolve, I would be informing owner of said dealership I would be contacting the BBB and also be taking them to small claims court if this issue wasn't resolved w/ no more out of pocket from you.

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines as well. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say when they "fix" it this week and interesting to see how much they try to charge me. I'm not planning on going paying for anything unless they can prove beyond any doubt that it is a new problem that I caused. I doubt I've put more than 25 miles on the car since my first visit to the dealership six weeks ago.

Thanks for your thoughts / input.