Decided to come back to a TJ from a JK

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast
My '18 Willys JK is bought and paid for... All along I still missed my old Rubi. I found a nice TJR I'll be buying soon. A few people thought I was nuts because I'm losing great V6 and comfortable, bigger JK. But I actually like the TJ size. It's true the 3.6L has a lot of HP but it's also bigger and heavier, I don't think I notice that much, difference, but it's been awhile.

My ? is I wonder if I can swap the wheels/tires. JKs are 17" but I read the bolt pattern is different. I need some kind of adapters. Are those safe. I'd think then the JK would need adapters for the TJs Moab wheels. The KO2s I got have only 2K miles on them and I love them. Wondering if it's worth it or just buy proper tires for the Moabs.

Ya sure you could run spacers... or make the obvious choice of JK axle swap :D

• Haha
Reactions: Jeff Allan
We've talked in private, you know my stance on the JK vs TJ thing. I like them both, but the TJ suits me better as it's cheaper, much more basic, and easy to work on.

For a daily driver, the JK is a far superior vehicle in every way.

For a recreational, "fun" vehicle, the TJ reigns supreme.

If you're a DIY mechanic, believe me when I say you DO NOT want to own anything newer than a TJ (y)

We've talked in private, you know my stance on the JK vs TJ thing. I like them both, but the TJ suits me better as it's cheaper, much more basic, and easy to work on.

For a daily driver, the JK is a far superior vehicle in every way.

For a recreational, "fun" vehicle, the TJ reigns supreme.

If you're a DIY mechanic, believe me when I say you DO NOT want to own anything newer than a TJ (y)

Agree copletely, but the funny thing, Chris. This TJ is going to be my DD. My TJR was good, even with the kids. I do mostly city driving,and light offroad stuff, much rather be in a TJ!!

Wife and I went out Saturday, I swear every other vehicle was a JK, two or four door. I think out of all the Jeeps made, TJs have the best look as well. Always thought that.

Agree copletely, but the funny thing, Chris. This TJ is going to be my DD. My TJR was good, even with the kids. I do mostly city driving,and light offroad stuff, much rather be in a TJ!!

Wife and I went out Saturday, I swear every other vehicle was a JK, two or four door. I think out of all the Jeeps made, TJs have the best look as well. Always thought that.

Yes, I should clarify about the DD part. The only place I felt the JK was significantly better was on longer highway trips. In the city, it didn’t make much of a difference other than it was quieter.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I like the TJs as well.
Spacers are not the way to go though, IMO.

I've been running spacers (not adapters) on my JK, simply for a nicer look. No issues, but no hardcore wheeling. I used loctite and when I got new tires, they checked torque and nothing moved. They seem safe to me.

I've been running spacers (not adapters) on my JK, simply for a nicer look. No issues, but no hardcore wheeling. I used loctite and when I got new tires, they checked torque and nothing moved. They seem safe to me.

Bolt on spacers are very safe. Mine have been going unnoticed for about 40k miles.

C rated. 285s that come on the Rubicons. I believe they made them for the JLs.

This is good, because most of the tires you'd get for the stock Moab wheels will be "E" rated. You're definitely better off with the "C" rated tires.

IMO, stick with a proven vendor when shopping around for wheel spacers. Spidertrax makes a very nice spacer. Very proven.
Spidertrax has a TJ bolt pattern to JK bolt pattern adapter that would allow you to run JK wheels on your TJ.

Reactions: JMT and Jeff Allan
I really like how this looks on a TJ....

Same wheels/tires as I have. Only diff is my wheels are black. He says, I'll also need a spare tire spacer...
I will also need adapters for the Moabs wheels to go on the JK.

IMO, stick with a proven vendor when shopping around for wheel spacers. Spidertrax makes a very nice spacer. Very proven.
Spidertrax has a TJ bolt pattern to JK bolt pattern adapter that would allow you to run JK wheels on your TJ.
Synergy is a bit less spendy and has been working well on mine.

been run-in em a long time,,,no problems did loctite em on...love em
161875B0-41AB-4BA2-86E7-815F76B15F8B.jpeg

Last edited: