Decisions: E-Locker or Air Locker?

TJX02

I'm having a hard time deciding between an e-locker or air locker for my upcoming S35 install. I will be doing the install myself. Previously, I thought I was set on e-locker for the simplicity. But now I can't help feel that I would be missing on so much without an air compressor.

Has anyone faced a similar dilemma? If so, what was the reasoning behind your decision to go air vs electric?

You'll find this a Ford vs Chevy debate. I've had both in several different rigs/axles, and I definitely prefer the quickness with which eLockers lock and unlock. I find that while my air lockers have engaged well, I find that they sometimes have a tendency to not disengage readily; sometimes requiring the steering wheel to be rocked a little ( in two different front applications). I don't really care if the rears are slow to disengage. That being said, I've never had any mechanical issues with either. Factory TJ eLockers with the 2 pinion design have had issues, but I haven't experienced or heard of any issues with the 4 pinion ones. You'd need to verify if the Dana 35 eLockers are of the 4 pinion version.

You can still have a compressor.
Just don't tell your e-locker. ;)

This. I have air lockers because the axles I bought already had them installed, and the deal was too good to pass up.

If I ever grenade them though, I'll go with the E-locker. Chasing a leaky air line was a pain when I had a leak. I would have way rather just ran some new wire.

That said, if I went E-lockers, I'd still keep my air pump. It's handier than a pocket on a shirt.

I did an E-locker when I did my S35 a couple weeks ago. If I already had an air compressor I'd do that, but going E-locker doesn't mean I can never have OBA

Reactions: JMT
I went e lockers. 1 installed, 1 on my bench to install (this weekend). Main motivation was ease of install and troubleshooting. Its a small nitpick but I also liked working with the eaton wiring inside the locker compared to the ARB where you have to route the copper line. The elockers I did were shimmed inside the carrier bearings which also made the process easier. This only matters if you're doing the work yourself tho.

When I was getting ready to get lockers I was originally going to go with e-lockers. After some research though, I learned that e-lockers utilize an electromagnet, ramped plates and ball bearings. If you are locked and need to reverse, this means that you actually "unlock" while reversing and the lockers reengage in the opposite direction. This is probably not a big deal, but if I lock my diffs, I want them to stay locked until I unlock them. Also I wanted onboard air anyway, so I figured this was a good way to justify the cost to myself, because I needed it for my air lockers. There are pros and cons to each, at the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong, it just boils down to a matter of preference. Air leaks can be a pain in the ass to chase down, but so can a break in the wire or a short somewhere...

I'm having a hard time deciding between an e-locker or air locker for my upcoming S35 install. I will be doing the install myself. Previously, I thought I was set on e-locker for the simplicity. But now I can't help feel that I would be missing on so much without an air compressor.

Has anyone faced a similar dilemma? If so, what was the reasoning behind your decision to go air vs electric?

I thought an elocker was simpler overall and equally reliable. I wanted a portable compressor to use for other purposes besides just the Jeep.

Great input, thanks all! I'm afraid I'm no closer to a decision, but do feel validated in my assumption that either option is good.

E-locker & portable compressor. Done. It's simpler and cheaper.

Certainly a good option. I'd prefer onboard air to avoid another thing to lug around/get stolen, and call me shallow but want an auxiliary switch for it 🤓

I think I'm leaning toward air locker. I can see myself eventually swapping out the Powertrax No-Slip in the front for a selectable and do air for both.

Main advantage for me to the e-locker is the easier installation, so I can see myself getting e-locker in the rear, later adding onboard air, and yet later adding air locker up front.

When I was getting ready to get lockers I was originally going to go with e-lockers. After some research though, I learned that e-lockers utilize an electromagnet, ramped plates and ball bearings. If you are locked and need to reverse, this means that you actually "unlock" while reversing and the lockers reengage in the opposite direction. This is probably not a big deal, but if I lock my diffs, I want them to stay locked until I unlock them. Also I wanted onboard air anyway, so I figured this was a good way to justify the cost to myself, because I needed it for my air lockers. There are pros and cons to each, at the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong, it just boils down to a matter of preference. Air leaks can be a pain in the ass to chase down, but so can a break in the wire or a short somewhere...

Really? They all unlock when you reverse? Hard to believe anyone would recommend them if this was true as people would get stuck frequently from this.

Main advantage for me to the e-locker is the easier installation, so I can see myself getting e-locker in the rear, later adding onboard air, and yet later adding air locker up front.

Personally, I see that as being the worst way to go about lockers. Why install ~$1,000 air set up just for one locker? I’d keep them the same front and back.

Reactions: JMT and TJX02
Really? They all unlock when you reverse? Hard to believe anyone would recommend them if this was true as people would get stuck frequently from this.
That's very similar to when Chicken Little was screaming 'the sky is falling the sky is falling'. It does that by design and takes no more for a 1/2 rotation of a tire for it to re-lock. Only technically will they disengage due to its ramp design and it all happens in such a short amount of rotation you wouldn't know it nor would you be left unlocked. The design is symmetrical so can't work one way, forward, without it working the other way, reverse, also.

Would John Currie have standardized on the E-Locker if it had any significant faults? I don't think so.

I did a super 30/35 elocker combo with a Makita portable "tire inflator." Eventually installed a Viair twin on my 97 with a Morr flate hose system so we could air up/down in less than 15 minutes between two Jeeps on 35s. Only regret is not using the provided switches.

We put an Ox locker with an electronic activation on my wife's JK and love it too. I like the screw on JIC everything breaks locker activator but dislike the cable coming out of the middle of the cover.

-Mac

Personally, I see that as being the worst way to go about lockers. Why install ~$1,000 air set up just for one locker? I’d keep them the same front and back.

I agree that I wouldn't mix and match electric with an air locker.

The additional on top of the locker to run air isn't $1000 though. If you are just setting up a compressor for the air lockers it's maybe $300 for the cheapest compressor complete with wiring. The locker comes with its own switch and air line so all you need is the compressor.

I have air lockers from arb waiting to go in because I found a good deal on them locally NIB. Otherwise I was leaning towards elocker route for install being a little easier. At the time though the 30 spline front e locker was hard to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJX02 and BlueC