Decrease in TJ Products

Based on this thread, I think I should sell my TJ and buy a slightly used JKU. Just so I can still buy parts for my vehicle! :D :eek:

Until you can’t. Same thing will happen to the JK in 15 years. It happens to every vehicle.

Car manufacturers expect you to have the keeping up with the Jones’ mentality.

Keep upgrading your vehicle every X amount of years.

Good luck, I’ve had a mercenery bumper on order since November. Called after a month of not hearing anything and Jeff said it would be done in January. Well, it’s February now and not a word on it. It’s the best looking TJ bumper out there IMHO, didn’t think it would be such a big deal to get one. I’m starting to think I’ll never get it...
Is it possible to ask for your money back at this point? If your having to wait that long? Seems rediculius. No bumper is worthy of that long of a wait period. Get your money back and find a different one.

Until you can’t. Same thing will happen to the JK in 15 years. It happens to every vehicle.

Car manufacturers expect you to have the keeping up with the Jones’ mentality.

Keep upgrading your vehicle every X amount of years.

Yeah I actually told my wife last night that I’m going to start buying up parts and accessories for my jeep now while I still can :)

She gave me the look and didn’t say anything. So I’m going to assume she’s ok with it.

Yeah I actually told my wife last night that I’m going to start buying up parts and accessories for my jeep now while I still can :)

She gave me the look and didn’t say anything. So I’m going to assume she’s ok with it.

It's not a bad idea. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think you'll have a problem finding replacement parts for the engine and sensors, it's finding things like plaster trim pieces for the interior and exterior that will get hard. As well as aftermarket accessories of course.

But as for engine replacement parts, the 4.0 is so popular that they'll keep making that stuff.

Reactions: lovemachine
Wow, I have a 1958 bmw R69 motorcycle. The made less that 3000 R69s and there is still plenty of vendors for any part except the frame. Same with my R75/5 and xs650 and GL1100.
For any model Jeep cj or wrangler there will be parts available for as long as gas fired vehicles are legal.

I have that crack too. I have a plastic welding kit, but I'm afraid to make it worse! I know I can get it stuck back together, but making it look decent on the top scares me. I bet though, If I figured it out, I could make a couple bucks doing the repair. Seems that 75% of the TJ's I look at have that crack.
Lol, seems we have a common issue. I'm thinking about drilling the hole to stop crack. Anybody try a soldering iron to bond Crack from inside? That's what I'm pondering on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Personally, I can't get over how many parts you can still get for the TJ.

Yes, some trim pieces etc might get a little sparse, but all else is covered by the aftermarket with either replica or upgraded third-party parts.

I can't see too many issues, these are enthusiast vehicles and as such parts will be available for many years to come. That said, if you see a part you want, don't think twice, grab it.

The key is "if you have the skills". I started a bit of welding a couple weeks ago. Going to work on that some more in the future. I used an ARC welder and got the arc down enough to at least see what I was doing. Going to get some lessons on gas welding soon. I'm really doing it just to do small things like lower CA armor brackets, et. al. But I bet I can get most of my TJ done before the aftermarket dies off too significantly.
If you can burn rod with an arc welder you can certainly love a move to great acetylene welds (gas) or easier yet- MIG with Argon/CO2 especially if you keep wire size to the small size of recommended for steel thickness. If you go to a 120V unit like i did make sure your circuit is a full 20 amp with a minimal run of 12 ga wire in the circuit--low input voltage will give you troubles that will seem like poor grounding of work piece. Stay away from TIG until you master either acetylene or MIG. You will love the ease and clean welds of MIG/or gas. Try to weld where you can do horizontal beads because overhead and vertical welding take a lot of practice. If going with MIG get yourself a nice auto darkening hood- no need to spend a lot- mine is just a $60 one and it is so much nicer than the old units I used in the old days--of course with acetylene the regular goggles are fine since you can see your piece and even the seam to be welded (one of the best things with gas).This last year I bought a nice Hobart 140 unit since I was tired of the hassles and noise of burning rod with my ancient Miller AEAD welder/generator (1968). I learned on acetylene (loved it and built two race go cart tube frames in college with it) and stick. My next move will be to either buy a TIG unit (weld quality is more like gas welding) or buy a plasma cutting unit.

One caution with acetylene —- safety. That is what any training you receive should focus on. Secure your bottles, understand and use back flow preventers/flame arrestors, understand the parts of the torch handle and how to inspect. A fire in your handle or in your acetylene tank is not a good day. I can go on but will not with accidents and near misses I had.

Kind of strange, but I like the TJ's better than anything newer due to the size of it. The new Jeeps are too big for me. The TJ is the last one I really like. Hence I bought an '04 with 5sp of course. Hope to have it a long time. As far as parts go, I am not worried about it. They made a lot of TJs and as someone that restored a '60 vette, that they made so few, I can tell you we are going to be fine. The TJ is one of the greats, so no worries.